Do you pay double just to support LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I support my LDS and give them the opportunity to get me the gear i want before I order it online in case they can't get it. I am willing to pay a little bit more than online because believe in supporting the local diving community, and without a shop to hang out at and take classes at and teach at, there is not much of a community, especially in high and dry Arizona.
That said, if the price difference is 100%, then the LDS is clearly overcharging. A little bit more expensive is reasonable, since an LDS doesn't have the volume to bargain the same kinds of prices as LP, but not twice the price. In that case, I wouldn't feel bad for not supporting an LDS that apparently only wants to rake in dough and has no interest in supporting a happy customer base.

I have been pricing out gear at the LDS with places like leisure pro & have found some stuff to be twice the price at the LDS. For instance a Sherwood Wisdom 2 @ LDS was $1200, online store $600. Other stuff I have priced is the same way, I know service and warranty is easier if you buy local but at what cost. I feel bad not supporting the LDS but when you can buy twice as much gear somewhere else for the same cost, it is justifiable is it not?

Did you find the 10% LP discount coupon online.. It's good once per customer and will really sink the LDS price.

Did you find the 10% LP discount coupon online.. It's good once per customer and will really sink the LDS price.

Actually LP threw in a Akona gear bag that was around $100 so it ended up a little more than 10%. Certainly hard to pass on that kind of deal.

I'd pay double if the saleswoman is young, cute, sexy and willing to head off to the bedroom with me to make the sale... How many nights would also influence the eventual price :)

But then again, I'm, a dirty old man, just not so much the old, since I'm only 30 :p

Talk about getting f&%@d out of a good deal. :crafty:

I'd pay double if the saleswoman is young, cute, sexy and willing to head off to the bedroom with me to make the sale... How many nights would also influence the eventual price :)

But then again, I'm, a dirty old man, just not so much the old, since I'm only 30 :p

Wow, you're "only 30" and you've never had sex with a woman. Do your thoughts turn to livestock?

I think LDS are like any other store.Some are in it for the money and some for the customer.It doesn't take long to figure out where each shop stands.I consider myself fortunate.The last time I mentioned a price from Leisure Pro my LDS simply said "We'll match it" without so much as a pause.
I have bought a few items online but mostly because none of my LDS carried them or I wanted a piece of gear sooner than they could get it.And I have never seen a 100% price difference even at the "higher priced" LDS.

The mark up at the LDS is too much, and they all stick together locally to keep the price inflated, and then complain or tell tales of doom about gear bought online. Lower the price closer to online, as most reasonable people realize a B&M business needs to make a profit, now sell a bigger volume, carry some "cool" looking gear, carry wetnotes instead of giant plastic toy slates, SELL bolt snaps and cave line instead of snappy coils.... Have something in your store that I must buy everytime I walk in, instead of looking at the sad pile of pink wrist lanyards and dusty inflateable float balls....and stop letting the industry suppliers hold you hostage. Making a deal starts with getting a better price from the supplier. If the shops banded together that way..hey aqualung/scubapro, you aren't going to sell another reg in western canada UNLESS you give all us shops as a group your best price. Why not? Eveyone wins locally, scubapro wins, otherwise we are going to buy and market brands that are more cooperative.

The mark up at the LDS is too much, and they all stick together locally to keep the price inflated, and then complain or tell tales of doom about gear bought online.

If the shops banded together that way..hey aqualung/scubapro, you aren't going to sell another reg in western canada UNLESS you give all us shops as a group your best price. .

I couldn't agree with you more! I assume from your post tkd that you are on the west coast as well?

I agree 100%. If the shop sold little "Neat" accessories or cheaper gear that I can justify spending $10-$60 when I pick up my tanks from a fill they could drain my wallet a lot more easily.
Even better would be to have a discount if you spent a certian amount of money. That works on most people.

I am a west coaster and I have a craigslist budget. Therefore I buy locally online. LOL!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom