Do you smoke

Do you smoke? I am talking about any kind of smoke

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neophyte:
Nicotine is a stimulant.
Plenty of people have noticed an increase in SAC rate, myself included.
My thoughts (and they are nothing more) tend more towards a body's getting accustomed to a constantly higher level of CO2 (a buildup of which is actually responsible for the urge to breathe) leading to an overall downturn in the rate of respiration.
I'd love to hear a better/the real explanation.
H2Andy:
well... i have confirmed this with three other divers, one of whom is a world-class cave diver (all ex-smokers) we all agree on the horrendous increase on SAC we've talked about it, and it appears that when you smoke, you inhale less air per
breath taken for a variety of reasons.
once you quit and your lungs have a chance to heal a little bit, they become more
efficient and just go through air much faster
that's about as close as i've had anybody explain it
shark.byte.usa:
I think you probably hit it on the head, that along with a smaller lung capacity and shallower respirations, all combined you have a weiner [or loser].
dherbman:
That makes more sense than anything else I've heard.
By your logic, this makes about as much sense as cutting out a lung so you'll have "a smaller lung capacity and shallower respirations", hence decreasing your SAC rate.

You Smokers have some of the dumbest rationalizations/explanations/excuses for your disgusting habit:shakehead

Kevrumbo:
By your logic, this makes about as much sense as cutting out a lung so you'll have "a smaller lung capacity and shallower respirations", hence decreasing your SAC rate.

You Smokers have some of the dumbest rationalizations/explanations/excuses for your disgusting habit:shakehead

Kev,

Don't feel like the lone stranger, I can't follow that logic either and I'm a smoker.

One of these days I'll be an ex-smoker, I hope.

Kevrumbo:

dang... i'd take up smoking again just to spite your attitude ...

but then my wife would divorce me

:coffee:

whatever you want to call it, it is a fact that smokers have lower SACs
while they smoke, and when they quit, the SACs balloon.

(i would like a list of your habits so that i may comment on them, please!)

:wink:

Kevrumbo:

Kev,

You need to go back and read the posts; I don't believe we did any of the above, nor did I ever say I smoked to reduce my SAC; I simply said it was a byproduct of the habit, we were simply discussing why this was. I never said it was a GOOD thing, I'd glady trade a higher SAC rate to be smoke free.

Your attitude however is very unsettling, is must be nice to live in a glass house.

Garrett

P.S. 3 out of the 4 people you quoted ARE non-smokers :shakehead:

H2Andy:
dang... i'd take up smoking again just to spite your attitude ...

but then my wife would divorce me

:coffee:

whatever you want to call it, it is a fact that smokers have lower SACs
while they smoke, and when they quit, the SACs balloon.

(i would like a list of your habits so that i may comment on them, please!)

:wink:
Ain't no fact Holmes!!!
Just a stupid inference based on an anecdotal observation of dubious or wishful thinking nature. . .

I kept thinking the world had issues being separated in East or West, Black or White, Christian, Hindu or Muslim, but it appears to be smoking or non-smoking!

I used to not smoke, then I started and was happy about it.
I used to smoke, but don't anymore and am happy about it.

It doesn't matter if you smoke as long as you don't bother anyone else with it.
It doesn't matter if you don't smoke as long as you don't bother smokers with it, who are not bothering you with their smoke. The last part is subjective and we all know ex-smokers are the worst knitty gritty commenters on smokers.

Every weekend a glass of wine is not going to kill you, nor is smoking a sigarette once a week, so there is no right or wrong in smoking or non-smoking as much as there is in drinking or not drinking. It's the quantity that matters.

I think the problem with a lot of ex-smokers (like myself) is that they don't feel acknowledged by smokers or never-smokers in their "huge effort" to quit smoking. That annoys them the most. To people who never smoked, they are just people who got it right the second time and to smokers they are just people who can't stop whining about quitting smoking. Stuck in the middle. I think they want smokers to quit to let those people know actually how "hard" and thus fantastic it is that they did achieve to quit smoking.

Quit smoking if you want, pat yourself on the back and get on with your life.
Smoke all you want, but don't bother me with it.

Smoke and let smoke I say, but be considerate for either's choice.

Cheers,
Gurt

Kev,
I have an even better rationale that one of my co-workes used to use for saying that Smoking was healthy.

He said that a cigarette was healthier than a liter of water. The water would kill you faster. He said he smoked a pack a day (I actually think it was more, but not the point), 20 cigarettes a day. He said if he drank 20 liters of water a day, he would overwork his kidneys, go into renal failure with in a week, and be dead with in the year. Talk about messed up logic.

scubapolly:
Kev,
I have an even better rationale that one of my co-workes used to use for saying that Smoking was healthy.

He said that a cigarette was healthier than a liter of water. The water would kill you faster. He said he smoked a pack a day (I actually think it was more, but not the point), 20 cigarettes a day. He said if he drank 20 liters of water a day, he would overwork his kidneys, go into renal failure with in a week, and be dead with in the year. Talk about messed up logic.
Yes, that's completely messed up logic!!!! Everyone knows you can drown in a liter of water much quicker than you'll die from renal failure!!!!! :eyebrow:

scubapolly:
Kev,

There is no question that smoking is bad for you. Anyone that argues otherwise will have zero credibility with me.

SAC is a number that can't be controlled by the wishful thinking of smokers who are trying to justify their filthy habit. It's common to hear smokers, such as Andy, speak of reduced SAC after quitting. I seriously doubt that anyone is going to become a hoover in order to ........ what?
Kev, unless you are saying that these ex smokers are lying, there's more to it than dumb rationalizations.

Kevrumbo:

Although you quoted several posts, your responses give the impression you haven't actually read them. Rather, you seem to be responding to nonsensical strawman arguments of your own design.

To my way of thinking, you've compounded this error with your flinging about of such intentionally rude and disparaging descriptives as dumbest, disgusting and stupid, amongst others.

You write as if someone recommended taking up smoking as a means of decreasing SAC rate. You write as if a group of smokers were holding forth on why smoking was such a great thing to do. Actually, several non-smokers were commenting on something three of us have personally experienced AFTER QUITTING and speculating as to possible mechanisms involved.

Kevrumbo:
Ain't no fact Holmes!!!

Just a stupid inference based on an anecdotal observation of dubious or wishful thinking nature. . .

You ARE correct that we're discussing anecdotal information. None of us are involved in properly controlled, double-blind, peer-reviewed studies nor did we claim to be. Such a study seems infeasible for a whole handful of reasons. I'm pretty sure I can be trusted to determine whether or not my SAC rate increased immediately following my quitting smoking. I am far from alone in noticing this.

Lastly, why exactly would you consider it "wishful thinking" to notice that my SAC rate increased?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom