Do you think a 32 minute layover in Houston is enough?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

going to Coz ... maybe.

coming home ... no way Jose. ;-)

I just checked the flight status for your flights today:

United Flight 1104

Status: Delayed due to operational difficulties (Arrived Gate 2 Hours 35 Minutes Late)
City: Houston, TX, US (IAH - Intercontinental)
Gate: C15
Terminal:
Scheduled Time: 11:15 a.m.
Scheduled Date: Mon., Mar. 19, 2018
Actual Time: 1:50 p.m.
Actual Date: Mon., Mar. 19, 2018

United Flight 1549
City: Cozumel, MX (CZM)
Gate: 3
Terminal:
Scheduled Time: 2:17 p.m.
Scheduled Date: Mon., Mar. 19, 2018
Actual Time: 2:18 p.m.
Actual Date: Mon., Mar. 19, 2018

In addition, you will be arriving at Terminal C and departing Terminal E. On a good day, that would be a tough connection.

Last month when visiting Bonaire we had a 45 minute layover in ATL. When we landed we had a 10-15 minute delay and were ready to run to connecting terminal. As we were ready to spring out of our seats the announcement was made that they were having issues with the skybridge, which was another 27 minute delay. We arrived to the gate 12 minutes before departure and they just closed the gate. We were screwed since that was the last flight to Bonaire for several days. We had to fly to Miami, to Aruba (overnight) then connect to Bonaire. After that experience, I would never accept a layover which is under an hour. I know comparing Bonaire and Cozumel are apples versus oranges, but I will always exercise caution, even when booked through the airlines(like our ticket was).

Since you already booked your flight, find out who your airline partners with. If there are other partnered airlines that can get you out of Houston the same day, I would roll the dice. Good luck. I would never wish our vacation aggravation on anyone.

Last month when visiting Bonaire we had a 45 minute layover in ATL. When we landed we had a 10-15 minute delay and were ready to run to connecting terminal. As we were ready to spring out of our seats the announcement was made that they were having issues with the skybridge, which was another 27 minute delay. We arrived to the gate 12 minutes before departure and they just closed the gate. We were screwed since that was the last flight to Bonaire for several days. We had to fly to Miami, to Aruba (overnight) then connect to Bonaire. After that experience, I would never accept a layover which is under an hour. I know comparing Bonaire and Cozumel are apples versus oranges, but I will always exercise caution, even when booked through the airlines(like our ticket was).

Since you already booked your flight, find out who your airline partners with. If there are other partnered airlines that can get you out of Houston the same day, I would roll the dice. Good luck. I would never wish our vacation aggravation on anyone.
Agree with the first part, but do NOT roll the dice! (unless you have great trip insurance and really don't care about getting there on time). Bad things happen way too often even when you have adequate connection time.

On a trip last year our first flight was 2 hours late leaving home - so we missed the single connection of our very simple 2 flight trip. No worries as the next airline was very helpful in arranging 3 additional short haul flights that got us to our destination after crisscrossing over most of Europe several times. We were only 12 hours late which meant that it was extremely difficult to check in to our Air BnB as we did not have a European enabled cell phone.

As already hinted in several posts above, be sure you understand what will happen if you do not arrive on time.

IAH is my primary connection/departure. I highly recommend at least a 1 hour connection going. As far as the return trip, I would consider a 2 hour connection at the least. Immigration can get backed up especially if several international flights arrive at the same time. Of course, Global Entry is an option to speed things up and is HIGHLY recommended.

Two hours is my typical minimum. It may be excessive, but I rarely miss a connection and if things go smoothly, I can listen to music or watch a tv show or movie on my phone and shop in duty free or have a meal. I see too many panicked people having terrible stress on the flights and running through the airport desperately trying to connect. I don't need that. Of course, usually I have an even longer wait just due to the schedules.

A 32 minute gap would make me crazy stressed and anxious, even if I had no checked bags. With checked bags I would just assume my luggage would not make it.

Sorry.

IAH is my primary connection/departure. I highly recommend at least a 1 hour connection going. As far as the return trip, I would consider a 2 hour connection at the least. Immigration can get backed up especially if several international flights arrive at the same time. Of course, Global Entry is an option to speed things up and is HIGHLY recommended.
And the real key to getting home quicker via IAH is to realize that it is way faster to exit the international arrival area downstairs into the general public area (as if you lived in Houston and were going home) and then go back through normal security upstairs (as if you lived in Houston and were just leaving home).

It took several trips for us to figure this out on our own. On our last trip this Jan they actually had "TSA precheck" signs that directed you to make this special detour. Based upon line lengths I would still do this even if I was not TSA precheck.

Yes, giffenk..GOOD Info ! Especially for those with TSA Precheck. The Alternate route you describe has a TSA precheck line available. If you follow the official path, the TSA Precheck line is not an option.

In a word: No. I use a 1-hour minimum for connecting flights for business travel and still get stuck once in a while. 90 minutes is safer, but at 2 hours, you probably weren't going to get there anyway...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom