Do you use Sudafed....?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaaaronh:
I quit using sudafed and started using Claritin D, my ENT had me try it out. Takes care of my allergies and clears me out for twenty hours. Thet say it is 24 hour but i get twenty out of it. I take it the night before the dive and since i started this i have not had to call a dive.

I've pointed this out in other thread. Claritin D, Zyrtec D, and most antihistamines that also say D, have pseudoephedrine (sudafed) in it. That's what the D as in Decongestant stands for. So, you're still taking it. Look at the active ingredients.

Taking Claritin or the others without the D may help some alergy symptoms, but will not help if you're stuffed up.

Also, I was told that there were possible serious side effects when combining psuedoephedrine with EAN >21, but I'll leave that info to the medical professionals.

Chaseh:
Also, I was told that there were possible serious side effects when combining psuedoephedrine with EAN >21, but I'll leave that info to the medical professionals.

See my earlier posts on this. It is nothing to worry about unless you are really pushing the limits, and even then it is questionable if it is really a factor.

Chaseh:
I've pointed this out in other thread. Claritin D, Zyrtec D, and most antihistamines that also say D, have pseudoephedrine (sudafed) in it. That's what the D as in Decongestant stands for. So, you're still taking it. Look at the active ingredients.

Thats fine my ENT recommended it and it doesn't make me drowsy or dizzy like sudafed did. It works better than sudafed for me thats my points.

BarryNL:
However, the only real danger is that it wears off during your dive and your ears can't clear during surfacing (a 'reverse block'). The dose certainly needs to be timed to avoid this, which mean testing it on the surface first to confirm how long it is effective for you.

It actually makes me hallucinate or otherwise feel incapacitated to the point that driving would be unwise, so that certainly is not the only danger. User beware.

I live on the stuff when diving. I take it on dive days even if not congested. But I don't get any side effects from it. If you've never taken a drug, anything, even dramamine, taking it for the 1st time on a dive day is a bad idea. try it out well in advance, on a day when you don't have to drive or do anything in particular, just in case it goobers you up.

Gidds:
It actually makes me hallucinate or otherwise feel incapacitated to the point that driving would be unwise, so that certainly is not the only danger. User beware.

Peyote does that to me. Same advice: User beware. :wink:

scubaaaronh:
Thats fine my ENT recommended it and it doesn't make me drowsy or dizzy like sudafed did. It works better than sudafed for me thats my points.

it is sudafed, that's my point. The side effects should not be any different, except that an antihistamine has been coupled with it.

Generally speaking, antihistamines are what may cause drowsyness, and sudafed is more likely to act like a amphetamine.

so, to say is doesn't have the effects of sudafed cannot be correct, since it is sudafed. You could contend that the antihistamine counters any of the said effects, but that would be unusual I believe. If you feel better now though, that's all that really matter, eh? :coffee:

HEY, ROATAN IN 4 DAYS!

Chaseh:
it is sudafed, that's my point. The side effects should not be any different, except that an antihistamine has been coupled with it.

Generally speaking, antihistamines are what may cause drowsyness, and sudafed is more likely to act like a amphetamine.

so, to say is doesn't have the effects of sudafed cannot be correct, since it is sudafed. You could contend that the antihistamine counters any of the said effects, but that would be unusual I believe. If you feel better now though, that's all that really matter, eh? :coffee:

HEY, ROATAN IN 4 DAYS!

Sudafed makes me want to curl up and go to sleep and claritan d doesn't. different drugs act differently. I actually have a hard time sleeping when taking claritin d. Dont ask me but thats what it does to me.

GENERIC NAME: loratadine and pseudoephedrine
BRAND NAME: Claritin-D

DRUG CLASS AND MECHANISM: Claritin-D is a combination of two drugs, an antihistamine (loratadine) and a decongestant (pseudoephedrine). Loratadine is a long-acting antihistamine that blocks the actions of histamine that cause some of the symptoms of allergic reactions. It is one of a few antihistamines that does not cause sedation. Pseudoephedrine decongests tissues by causing blood vessels to constrict.

I take Zyrtec D which is similar, in fact it also has the same dose of sudafed. I can't take it in the evenings, cause like you said about the Claritin D, I can't fall asleep easily on it. The Sudafed in it has that effect on lots of people.

Chaseh:
GENERIC NAME: loratadine and pseudoephedrine
BRAND NAME: Claritin-D

DRUG CLASS AND MECHANISM: Claritin-D is a combination of two drugs, an antihistamine (loratadine) and a decongestant (pseudoephedrine). Loratadine is a long-acting antihistamine that blocks the actions of histamine that cause some of the symptoms of allergic reactions. It is one of a few antihistamines that does not cause sedation. Pseudoephedrine decongests tissues by causing blood vessels to constrict.

I take Zyrtec D which is similar, in fact it also has the same dose of sudafed. I can't take it in the evenings, cause like you said about the Claritin D, I can't fall asleep easily on it. The Sudafed in it has that effect on lots of people.

Then why is it that when i take just OTC sudafed it makes me dizzy and want to go to sleep. If i have a hard time getting to sleep i can take one of those or a benedryl and i am out like a light? I understand that the dasic drug is the same but there has to be something different in it to make me react differently? Maybe someone that is a pharmicist can jump in and explain or an MD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom