Do you use tables for every dive?

How often do you use the RDP tables?

• every single dive!

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • used for the first 5 or 10, not anymore.

Votes: 24 28.9%
  • never used them once past certification.

Votes: 37 44.6%
  • can't even remember how to use them.

Votes: 7 8.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have always used the navy tables..... bottom timer and depth gauge.... Unless I'm doing something different, really no need to look at them... But still am really using the tables in my head from memory .... So I voted every time...

Jim...

I'm sorry, I voted before reading your post. I bought a dive computer immediately out of OW, so I don't really qualify for the poll. I DID try to fit my shore, terrain-based dives into the RDP for the first few dives, and realized it didn't work at all, and I never picked up the RDP after that.

For the past six years, I've dived tables with Ratio Deco, but it's not the RDP.

Although I use a diving computer (two on technical/decompression dives), I still use tables. Commercially, proprietary tables are used (yes, large commercial companies create their own) and also develop their own computer decompression programs as well. I've planned/used tables for saturation dives, but in the past few years these have been monitored by computer.

For those using the U.S. Navy Tables, remember that these are designed for Navy Divers. If you're not in the same condition as a SEAL, you might consider building in a safety factor when using them. These tables if used within there parameters will cause DCS to occur in approximately 2% of the dives. As you go into decompression this jumps to as much as 5% and extreme exposure can be as high as 10%. So don't think that by following the tables, you're not going to get DCS. It can happens even though your careful.

With some computers, you can optionally select a conservatory factor to use which builds in a fudge factor. DCIEM for example, has "Sport Diving Tables," which are more conservative than some others. Different makes of computers use different algorithms, so this is something to consider before you select one to use. Also your risk of DCS increases if the following considerations are present: gender (women are at higher risk), obesity, fatigue, age, physical condition, exercise after diving and environmental factors (cold water, rough seas, heavy work, dehydration and other factors. Don't push it.

I had a computer when I did my certification dives. On a simple OW reef dive, I'll use the planning mode of the computer to make sure there's plenty of bottom time even on a square profile (which I don't think I've ever actually seen, other than in a pool). I do have the RDP (and nitrox) tables in my bag as a backup, but I've never even been tempted to use them.

Sorry, I also replied to the poll prior to reading your post. I've been diving a computer for the last 11 years, nearly 700 dives. I've not used tables since but still know how and carry some with me, just in case.

I use dive planner on my Android and iPad tablet... great tool to do a quick mulitdive / day cross check to stay in the safety space. This combined with Dive Computer to do running tally of progress.

I only check them if I'm planning more than one dive so that I don't end up with either a long surface interval or very limited bottom time on a second dive.

I recently purchased a dive computer and am wondering where to find the pressure group from the RDP so I can log it in my dive book...or is this information omitted when using a comp?

I didn't respond to the poll since my scenario isn't offered. Speaking to my pre-computer days (1st 100+ dives) I would use them when the anticipated depth/sequence represented the posibility of a deco risk. With most dives in the less than fourty foot range and limited by air, cold etc. there was no value in knowing that I could stay down for 2:30 or whatever the answer is. This meant tables were used less than 10% of the time.

Also, are you considering RDP to a ubiquitous term like Kleenex for facial tissue? I though RDP was a PADI dive table format. I have never held a true RDP.

Pete

Thanks...the RDP I was referring to is the one they gave us in our OW cert course...though your question makes me wonder what it is they gave us...

Back
Top Bottom