Does a Long Hose set up require training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blackice

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently borowed a long hoses regulator set up and they show me how it worked, I kind of had an idea from the books and interent.

I had now problems using it, even swapping to the backup reg and cliping off the long hose, then unclipping the long hose and using it to fill my SBM at our safety stop. Then reclipping it.

It was also easy to set up and leave on the boat, long hose clipped off and short hanging down or necklace over the tank valve.

I was just wondering about other divers and if they started out with the long hoses like I have. I all makes sense to me, but was wondering if some divers wait until they do GUE-F or tech courses before they go the long hose.

=-)

blackice once bubbled...

I was just wondering about other divers and if they started out with the long hoses like I have. I all makes sense to me, but was wondering if some divers wait until they do GUE-F or tech courses before they go the long hose.
=-)
Go with the long-hose right away, the benefits 95% of the time even in open water make this the best way to dive. Just think a few scenarios through beforehand and as always start of on easy shallow dives while getting used to new equipment.
The only two areas which really require some thought are always remembering to clip off the long-hose (sounds like you've got it) and the reg recovery sweep doesn't work as well/the same as with a short-hose setup. The other problem is when resort DMs, etc go to move and setup your rig and end up dragging your primary around the boat :fury: until you jump on them, Then you demonstrate the alternate routing of the long-hose around the neck of the offender :hanged:

blackice once bubbled...
I was just wondering about other divers and if they started out with the long hoses like I have.
Yep.

Makes your gear more streamlined, gets rid (for me) of your reg being pulled every time you turn your head, and much less of an entaglement hazard...to name a few benefits. I still have yet to take a GUE course.

I'm happy I made the switch early on, and I really haven't got much flak from other divers on boats and such.

Dr. Jay once bubbled...
Yep.

Makes your gear more streamlined, gets rid (for me) of your reg being pulled every time you turn your head, and much less of an entaglement hazard...to name a few benefits. I still have yet to take a GUE course.

I'm happy I made the switch early on, and I really haven't got much flak from other divers on boats and such.

The hardest part in adjusting to using the long hose is learning how to deal with it on the damned dive boats. Keep this thought in mind "Clip it off, clip it off."

Other than that, once you've sorted out how you want to deal with the excess hoseage when diving, it's a non-issue.

The more important thing imnsho is to understand why you're using the long hose in the first place, and how to get the max benefit in the unlikely event you're ever called on in an emergency. I suspect there are too many divers out there who have adopted the long hose for rec diving because they want to look cool and really haven't given a lot of thought to the why of it. Frankly, I was probably guilty of that myself in the beginning, at least until I started my cave training and realized how useful, even necessary, the long hose was in certain situations.

JohnF

I would go ahead and start using the 7 foot hose. You will get better at managing and implementing it quickly. The benefits are great so, it's worth the effort.

Thanks team, I now have my own hoses and regulators. I raqng up the local tech diving shop and asked for a 5' hose. Went and picked it up -

why a 5' you ask? I figured that as I'm diving open water and not doubles I have no real need for the extra 2 foot - yet. and I have not light canister to run it under either. So for now that seemed to be the correct choice.

Sure inthe future if I go towards cave or deeper tech I'll change to the 7'.

- I got the hose home and held it up and realised that it's long than me (i'm only 5'5") and realised they had given me a 6' hose - which I'm fine with.

I actually had a 5' hose with another company one order and that cam in as well - so have a back up hose or I might introduce it to my wife/buddy and see if she is open to it.

Thanks for the feedback,
=-)

I prefer and recommend a 7ft hose.

With a cannister light the 7ft hose is run underneath the canister then up the chest and around the neck. Once run you can look to your left and then take up any slack by pushing the excess hose back along the canister.

Without a cannister, the excess hose can be looped and the loop run under the waist strap.

A 5 foot hose is not long enough to run under a canister, so you will be looking to purchase a 7ft hose whenever you acquire a cannister light.

Without a cannister a 5 ft hose is too short to form a loop and run under your waist strap. Any excess hose frequently ends up floating above your head. If your body dimensions are such that there is no excess hose then a 5ft hose can work. A 6 foot hose amplifies the problem of a 5 ft hose. Too short to run underneath a cannister or form a loop to run under the waist strap, but a lot of excess hose that ends up floating over the head.

Marc Hall
www.enjoythedive.com

MarcHall once bubbled...
I A 6 foot hose amplifies the problem of a 5 ft hose. Too short to run underneath a cannister or form a loop to run under the waist strap, but a lot of excess hose that ends up floating over the head.

That depends on your build. At 6' 150 lbs, I am quite thin. I traded my 7ft hose for a 6ft. The 6 fter fits tucks very well under my halcyon pocket (equivalent to a cannister) and routes perfectly. The 7ft was getting all over the place and kept coming untucked.

Think carefully before selecting a hose shorter than seven feet - this may be a bit shortsighted. The purpose of having a long hose at all, in addition to the other secondary advantages, is to enable gas sharing in single file. When you donate gas to a buddy, he will generally exit (egress) in front of you, while you maintain physical contact with him. Six feet of hose is going to require that your face be right in your buddy's ass, and is probably going to interfere with his ability to use his fins effectively. The extra length allows for efficient progress while gas sharing, and is conducive to towing, etc.

-Sean

cast55 once bubbled...
Think carefully before selecting a hose shorter than seven feet - this may be a bit shortsighted. The purpose of having a long hose at all, in addition to the other secondary advantages, is to enable gas sharing in single file.

When I begin diving in an environment where that is even a remote possibility, I'll get a 7 foot hose...and doubles...and stage/deco bottles. Right now, with my single tank, zero penetration diving, it really isn't an issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom