Does anyone else give the okay sign?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the boat I was on last weekend, the captain asked that students give the okay after their entries but said certified divers can feel free to just drop in and head directly down. I *did* give the okay when I dropped in and felt a fin slip a bit, as I wanted them to know they could keep dropping divers while I calmly re-finned myself on the surface.

On the dives Sunday, the seas were up and they told everyone to hit the water and get under as quickly as possible. I slapped a semi-submerged okay toward them as I pulled my way down the no-swim line toward the anchor line, but I have no idea if they could even see it.

Wow, guess I'm suprised by the number of no's here. Figured that was just used a lot above and underwater just to make sure things were, well, ok. Must be just like people that stop using their turn signals on the road :).

Yeah, I always do it. Most of the time the person helping me into the water says "jump in and when you're ok, let me know then swim to the line and wait"

So I jump in, give the BIG ok and go wait like a nice boy!

looped:
Wow, guess I'm suprised by the number of no's here. Figured that was just used a lot above and underwater just to make sure things were, well, ok. Must be just like people that stop using their turn signals on the road :).
Normally when underwater me and the ones ive been diving with tend to ask/give the ok whenever someone acts "different" than the rest. That be adjusting masks, regulators, stopping up and holding/sitting/standing at the bottomn for no apparent reason and so on.. If they act ok and dont tell otherwise, the use of the "ok" is not frequent, but it happens..
I also see myself using the "ok" more frequently when I dive with people I havent been down with before.

looped:

What do turn signals when driving have to do with this discussion?

This discussion is not about the OK signal underwater, but we can start one of those if you'd like. It is about giving the OK signal (with both arms or one arm touching the hand to the head, not the hand signal) to those on the boat in two situations. In one of those situations, the signal makes sense. In the other, it's ridiculous, if you aren't OK, don't get in the water. When I get in the water, I'm ready to descend, If I wasn't ready to descend, I'd stay on the boat and get ready. My entry is my signal that I'm OK.

Walter:
What do turn signals when driving have to do with this discussion?

This discussion is not about the OK signal underwater, but we can start one of those if you'd like. It is about giving the OK signal (with both arms or one arm touching the hand to the head, not the hand signal) to those on the boat in two situations. In one of those situations, the signal makes sense. In the other, it's ridiculous, if you aren't OK, don't get in the water. When I get in the water, I'm ready to descend, If I wasn't ready to descend, I'd stay on the boat and get ready. My entry is my signal that I'm OK.
You ARE aware that a mask can get jerked off, a regulator can be lost or even equipment jerked off? If I hadent given a "OK" before messing around to re-attach my knife that was ripped loose (I didnt tape the straps, and one of the straps got jerked out) what would the ones standing on shore think? That I paniced? That my leg got hurt? Whatever theyd think, they might have started a rescue and worried for no reason. Why not let them know youre OK and THEN start re-attaching the knife?

You are aware that you should be holding your mask and regulator in place during an entry? You are aware you shouldn't be diving unless you've mastered no mask breathing? You are aware there are two easy methods of recovering your regulator and that you have a spare in case you don't get it as quickly as you should?

How would those on shore even know your knife needed to be reattached? Why would they come after you?

Tigerman:
You ARE aware...
You *are* aware that there have been no documented cases of anyone successfully arguing with Walter, eh? :D

(Note that while I concede the point that one *should* be okay on an entry, even if something happens, I consider it a sign of respect to honor the boat operator's wishes. If it pleases them to have me give an okay, so be it, necessary or not.)

Sometimes the plan is to descend immediately. In those cases the question is moot.

On those dives where I do stay on the surface, I generally am watching the boat waiting for my buddy or the rest of the group to get into the water. If the Captain, the mate, or my buddy give me an OK signal, then I'll respond. Otherwise I just chill out on the surface. Of course, if during the boat/dive briefing the Captain, DM, or mate requested an OK after jumping in, that's what happens.

If my buddy is already in the water, my attention is on him. Although we may exchange OK's either verbally or by hand signal, it's much more likely that the only signal exchanged is "Descend".

Charlie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom