Does anyone push their purge button on OOG drills?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Graeme Tolton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am bringing this discussion up because of a thread in Mishap Analysis. How many people push their purge button while doing OOG/OOA drills? In the mentioned thread, a scuba instructor was convicted of involuntary manslaughter when his dive buddy died.

I always try to purge any regulator that hasn't been in my mouth to eject any potential debris before breathing it, including during drills, if that's what you mean?

I certainly hope you don't mean purging a second while donating to an OOG diver? I would think that would panic them more and make it difficult for them to see it to latch on and breathe.

Holding the hose near the connection to the second allows them to grab it and insert as needed. If I notice they're having difficulty drawing a breath once it's in, then I might purge it for them if they are too panicked/ooa to do so.

However, if I'm receiving the second in an OOG/OOA drill, I'll usually just blow out a breath to purge the water then breathe.

I certainly hope you don't mean purging a second while donating to an OOG diver? I would think that would panic them more and make it difficult for them to see it to latch on and breathe.

Holding the hose near the connection to the second allows them to grab it and insert as needed. If I notice they're having difficulty drawing a breath once it's in, then I might purge it for them if they are too panicked/ooa to do so.

However, if I'm receiving the second in an OOG/OOA drill, I'll usually just blow out a breath to purge the water then breathe.

It seems that this is why this instructor has had criminal charges brought against him.

Myself as well, I will still have some air in my lungs to clear the reg when it is being donated to me on an OOG/OOA drill.

Perhaps your point about holding the reg near the connection and purging if there is a problem seems to be the solution. However, I don't ever recall being taught that.

I am bringing this discussion up because of a thread in Mishap Analysis. How many people push their purge button while doing OOG/OOA drills? In the mentioned thread, a scuba instructor was convicted of involuntary manslaughter when his dive buddy died.

Do you mean purging the remaining air from the reg after the tank is turned off, or holding the purge button in a little to show that there's air when you donate it?

What does this have to do with the above conviction, and do you have a link for the story?

Terry

In my rescue class, we were taught to present a second and purge it at the same time. An OOG diver will see the bubbles from the second and grab on to it, as the only thing in their paniced mind is air.

I was taught as crd - donate while holding the hose next to the regulator; they they need to purge, they will do so themselves. I've found that donating by holding the reg body can be problematic because your hand blocks the purge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom