Does DIR work for every cave?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
Most of my cave diving has been tourist caves.
"Tourist caves"... I like that term. Big, open, clear water, always able to turn around rather than back out... strictly fun.
My kinda cave.
Rick

db8us once bubbled...

What happened there ?

Nothing really. Nobody was hurt or anything. I was in EE back in January and one of the guys who works there (I don't remember his name) was telling me about a dive he did in up stream Cow with Bill Main and some others. I think he said it was on New Years Eve. Anyway he was stuck for several minutes in the entrance restriction.

I had trouble getting through the first time also but I didn't let anyone famous see it. LOL.

Cow is a good example though. If your backmount you'll never see the end of the line.

There are lots of low, though wide, bedding planes where backmounts just don't cut it.

Crystal Beach...They take backmounts in but they do it by pushing them in front of them for a ways. The bacteria layer at the halocline is supposed to be really spectacular. I've seen video.

Vortex...A few hundred feet in it gets low. We went a ways further but even if you can fit through, when you start scraping your just damaging the cave and it's time for a change of gear if you want to go further. Sidemount guys skate back their easy and with room to spare.

MrBlue once bubbled...
, no-mount, or side-mount as we know you can't DIR in thos environments).

Unfortunately, most of the cave in florida is either no-mount or sidemount. DIR is excellent for big caves like mainline Ginnie, Mainline Peacock, and obviously Wakulla.

Duncan's comparison to DIR being a racecar and some other configurations being a land rover make perfect sense. I have never heard the debate stated so "eloquently british."

P.S.
Duncan, I'm ready for more British Deco.

Divesherpa once bubbled...

Duncan, I'm ready for more British Deco.

Me too. I try to decompress a little every day as a preventative measure. One can't be too careful.

Divesherpa,

Have you dive Convict?

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

Me too. I try to decompress a little every day as a preventative measure. One can't be too careful.
Isn't a proper British deco carried out at a pub?
:wink:

Have you dive Convict?
Alright...cave diving while chained up isn't DIR...at least I don't think so..

O-ring once bubbled...

Isn't a proper British deco carried out at a pub?
:wink:

Alright...cave diving while chained up isn't DIR...at least I don't think so..

British deco could be carried out in a pub but luckily the beverage is readily available and easy to transport so with planning it can be done almost anywhere.

Sorry, I meant Convict Springs.

Not yet, Mike. I'm working on it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom