Does everyone hate Scuba Pro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What makes ScubaPro disliked is their marketing plan, the try to keep their dealers from discounting and most dealers do not sell any other full line. The scheme is based on taking advantage of students who do not know the industry or the equipment by having them pay top dollar for ScubaPro gear whilst being told how bad the gear made by all other manufacturers is. I frankly think it is deceitful and a betrayal of what an instructor/student relationship should be.
SP is a company people like to hate as they have a couple of price related policies that people do not always view in terms of the big picture.

It's rare to find a dealer that does not sell another line just because Scubapro does not allow more than a 10% discount. This is almost always true with regard to BC's, masks, fins, wet suits, etc as SP products have traditionally been over priced compared to the competition (athough SP is getting a little better in that regard.) The upside of this is that you can almost always find an SP dealer. The two are related - if a company making equipment sold to a niche maket does not provide a structure that protects low volume brick and mortar dealers from high volume discount internet sales, you won't have many local brick and mortar dealers.

Also, I agree its not the most ethical practice in the world for dealers to sell SP gear and claim all other gear is second rate, but it is just as unethical for a dealer selling cheaper gear to claim SP is lower quality and over priced.

When it comes to regulators SP is hard to beat in terms of quality or cost of ownership. SP does charge a lot up front and (just like Aqualung/Apeks who almost never takes heat for the same dealer and marketing practices). Both companies have price controls and marketing practices designed to curtail on-line sales, although both companies are not great at enforcing restrictions of on-line sales.

Up front cost is the downside of buying Scubapro regs, but they have historically continued to support discontinued regs for decades and their design philosophy has whenever possible allowed older models to be upgraded to current standards with new parts allowing them to remain on the cutting edge of performance. There is just not another company out there that will service and upgrade a 40 year old regulator and it is extremely common for divers with 20-25 year old regs to still be diving them and still be getting parts service and waranty support for them - and still own a regulator that equals the performance of anything sold new today. Over its history Scuabpro has only discontinued service support for the Pilot, Air 1 and first generation Air 2 and most models are still fully supported in terms of the soft parts subject to wear.

In the rare event SP discontinues service and parts support for a particular model or no longer provides the parts needed to repair it, warranted regs are replaced with a new one of comparable performance. No one else offers that level of support.

In that context the up front cost of a Scubapro reg is a bargain when you consider the discounted competition's response is often to discontinue parts or service for your "bargain" priced reg 5 to 10 years after it was introduced requiring you to buy another one.

Scubapro/Uwatec computers are also "over priced" but Uwatec has also tended to introduce some truly cutting edge designs. Similarly, SP has been known from time to time to offer steep discounts on new computers when older models are discontinued and replaced with the newer model. Few if any other companies will ever offer a 40% discount for customers to upgrade to a new computer.

SP/Uwatec also offers great long term computer support. When SP was bought by JWA and began selling Uwatec computers, SP replaced my TRAC when it was in need of a battery replacement that could no longer be done at the factory. It cost me absolutely nothing and when a buddy of the day dropped a tank on that one a few years later after it had been discontined, SP provided me with a new one of comparable capability and features for a "simulated repair" cost that was less than the dealer cost on the new computer. In contrast, when the warranty provided by most other companies expires in 1 to 2 years, you are just out of luck and will end up buying another one. That bargain purchase is no longer a bargain when you have to spend the money 2 or 3 times in a given period of time.

So when you look at the total cost of ownership in terms of purchase price, free parts and long term service and support, I'd argue that the higher purchse price is more than offset over time and the SP reg or Uwatec computer ends up being a much better buy.

I've been looking on here for threads about scuba pro and they are hard to find.....Their not even listed on the threads manufacturing list??? Is it a bad brand or something? I own all Scuba Pro equiptment and can't seem to understand why it's not discussed more on here......I thought it was some of the best gear there is....anyone know why?

Michael Sapp

Keep digging, you'll find info.........& the reason it's "some of the best gear there is", is because I use it.....

DA has a great post there

And I'll tell you how I ended up with a Oceanic computer, instead of SP like my other gear ... the scuba pro factory rep pointed me in that direction after buying my (majorly discounted because of phasing out the Mk18) Mk18/G250Hp and BC left me kinda strapped for cash .. she said it was good quality gear, with good warranty support ... earning her high marks in my book ... I still make it a point to say hi to her every chance I get

Well I just thought it was funny because I see all kinds of ads for other gear brands, and see everything in the world about the other hundreds of brands out there but try typing scubapro in the search bar...you wuld be suprised at what you find...nothing! Weird...well hey, at least we made stuff available to anyone who may have a question about what other divers say about the gear! Thanks guys!

Scubapro's owners use the term "price value". It is priced higher, so people will think it's worth more. In Florida, you see Scubapro dealers in the rich-guy neighborhoods.

You will love their scuba equipment. You will not be disappointed. All of our equipment is Scubapro. Enough said.

How do you divers find Scubapro warranty work? I had a Scubapro mask break last year and the dealer told me "30 day warranty on masks". My replacement was a different brand from a different store.

I own a scuba pro reg and octo and i love the way they breath. there are many different brands all seem to have good quality stuff. I think people don't really need to talk up Scuba pro because you know what your going to get. Most of the People who don't like there stuff usually don't own it ,or they are on-line shoppers and are mad they cant get it. SP has a strict policy you can only buy there gear through there dealers in other words basically pay there price or buy something else. I have never had any SP dealer tell me other stuff was bad there pitch has always been you know what your getting and you know what your paying for I like there policies

I am personally fond of scuba pro gear. it's the gear I used to be certified and very reliable. I will especially comment on their regs and BCD's because of their practicality and simplicity.

How do you divers find Scubapro warranty work? I had a Scubapro mask break last year and the dealer told me "30 day warranty on masks". My replacement was a different brand from a different store.

Your dealer could have sent that mask in. Chances are that they would have replaced
it or charged a "simulated repair charge" at worst. Your dealer really could and should have taken better care of you. IMHO

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom