Does everyone really need an SPG? (w/transmitter)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m noticing a pattern here - the transmitter issues here seem to be non-Shearwater.

Shearwater uses the same transmitter as some other devices, their transmitter is FCC ID MH8A... It's also equally possible that transmitter issues are actually receiver issues.

Same as a few others here. No SPG, but one in the bag.

A day trip to the local lake, if the transmitter failed I just go home. Any trip bigger than that, gauges are in the save a trip (but not the save a dive) bag. Bringing an SPG that you probably already own is cheap insurance on a trip.

Lost a week of diving due to a bad transmitter? Bad planning on your part. Easy fix. Maybe loose a dive out of a trip, but not a whole trip worth of diving.

I’ve been rather surprised to learn the number of cave divers who are using transmitters only. A friend did her training and has dived a lot in MX. Transmitters only for 3-4 hours dives and no issues. Of course, it’s all Shearwater computers.

I try to avoid anything with batteries in it as much as possible, in both life and water. And if I gotta have batteries, I want them powering as few of the simplest things possible.

I like my hoses. They always connect, and if there is a problem with one, I know immediately.

It depends on which dive computer you have. Not all make this information available. If it is, you'll find it under "Extra Info" with every dive.
For example on every Shearwater dive computer. Or on newer Suuntos (EON Steel, Core, etc).

94wKRjP
That's one of the most useful posts I've come across. I now have a means of checking the transmitter's remaining power.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom