Does Hotel Cozumel has a nice beach area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I do remember seeing Reef Club in a post. Sorry bout that.

But anyway, you guys are picking on me because I'm old a blind so I think I'll just take my snorkel and go to bed.

Personally, my thoughts of Cozumel? Been ther 4 times in the last 1 1/2 years. Next trip I just might stay a couple months.

Nite-all!!!!!!

bfisher:
you guys are picking on me because I'm old a blind so I think I'll just take my snorkel and go to bed.

Personally, my thoughts of Cozumel? Been ther 4 times in the last 1 1/2 years. Next trip I just might stay a couple months.

Nite-all!!!!!!
:lol: Ha ha!... not picking on you at all. My patience wears pretty thin on this board at times :shakehead but this was not one of them... really!

When we go to Coz on our yearly big 20+ people family trips, we stay at El Cozumeleno. www.elcozumeleno.com

It's farther north of town, but has a really nice beach right there. There is a dive shop on premises called Ocean Tours/Scuba Du that will pick you up at their pier there every day. I have read good things about the shop, but we almost always spend the $7 taxi ride to get to town and dive with Christi/Blue XT Sea though.

We like this option because its awesome for the kids, its AI with decent food, it has all the usual resort ammenities, a really nice beach, and its not that far from town so we don't go broke when we want to go hit the dinner spots.

FYI about Reef Club and the pier.

What many people do not realize, is that the Reef Club does not actually have a pier. The pier belongs to Sand Dollar Sports...NOT the hotel.

Sand Dollar now charges dive operators to pick up at the pier, and I can't really blame them. They paid for it, maintain it, and rebuilt it after Wilma.

So, if you're staying at the Reef Club...don't be surprised if your dive op passes this fee on to you if you want to be picked up at the pier. If this is a problem for you, then stay at one of the hotels that provides a pier for their guests.

Remember, hotel pier pick-ups are a courtesy, and in most dive destinations hotel pick-ups are not an option. It is your responsibility to get to the boats designated departure place(s). In Cozumel, if your hotel doesn't have a pier, which Reef Club doesn't...you should not expect the operator to absorb those costs. Be prepared to make arrangements for anoter pick-up spot or pay the pier fee if requested.

The other option that I offer my Reef Club divers is to be picked up at San Francisco beach, which is equal distance on the other side of the resort as the Sand Dollar pier is.

awap:
I had already been warned off of Sand Dollar.
I was diving with Blue XT Sea earlier this summer and a Sand Dollar Boat ran right over our SMB. Fortunately it was just the Dive Master and myself that were still in the water. Although we were ascending, we were deep enough to avoid being hit. Needless to say, neither of us were very happy about it.

xiSkiGuy:
I was diving with Blue XT Sea earlier this summer and a Sand Dollar Boat ran right over our SMB. Fortunately it was just the Dive Master and myself that were still in the water. Although we were ascending, we were deep enough to avoid being hit. Needless to say, neither of us were very happy about it.

Dang, I've never seen that happen in Cozumel. Glad to hear neither one of you were injured and I hope the DM reported the capt of the Sand Dollar boat to the Harbor Master or whoever can take action. Sand Dollar would be pretty far at the bottom of my list for Coz dive opps. So many excellent ones.

I would never ascend in Coz without deploying an SMB. The captains usually pay attention and avoid them.

TheRedHead:
Dang, I've never seen that happen in Cozumel.

Singer songwriter Kirsty McColl (song: In These Shoes?) was run over and killed by a boat over Chankanaab Reef. It wasn't a dive boat, though. It's a pretty sad story; she had just finished the album, and by the time her song became a hit, she was dead.

ggunn:
Singer songwriter Kirsty McColl (song: In These Shoes?) was run over and killed by a boat over Chankanaab Reef. It wasn't a dive boat, though. It's a pretty sad story; she had just finished the album, and by the time her song became a hit, she was dead.
Coincidentally I just played a song that she sings back-up on to end my night on Sunday (I'm a nightclub DJ). Welcome to the Cheap Seats by The Wonder Stuff.

Another one you may or may not be aware of... she sang on the Pogues - Fairytale of New York. It's an awesome Christmas song... but maybe not the most uplifting. Fairytale Lyrics Wonderful voice, such a shame.

You can watch the video -Here. Matt Dillon makes a cameo... I'm sure it's not everyone's cup of tea but I LOVE that song.

I have to agree with TheRedHead. Villa Aldora runs a very nice operation. It's only about a kilometer north of the town center, so it's a short walk. Most people that stay there are repeat and enthusiastic divers, so it is very much like a liveaboard without sleeping on the waters. There's a small patio that's right on the ocean and usually Greg has beers in the afternoon where people hang and swap dive stories. They have free wireless internet and free VOIP calls to the US. There's a mini fridge in the room for drinks etc...No restaurants on site, but they can direct you to some AWESOME local places where you can dine with the locals fo' cheeeep!! Plus, they use steel tanks, and not aluminum tanks. Dives are slightly more expensive than other places, but still cheaper than say Hawaii. 6 divers max to a boat. I think they treat newly certified divers really well. Google them on the 'Net and take a look. I will not dive with anyone else on Cozumel.
P.S. - I have no financial incentives in writing this, just hope you have a good experience with them.

I have to agree with TheRedHead. Villa Aldora runs a very nice operation. It's only about a kilometer north of the town center, so it's a short walk. Most people that stay there are repeat and enthusiastic divers, so it is very much like a liveaboard without sleeping on the waters. There's a small patio that's right on the ocean and usually Greg has beers in the afternoon where people hang and swap dive stories. They have free wireless internet and free VOIP calls to the US. There's a mini fridge in the room for drinks etc...No restaurants on site, but they can direct you to some AWESOME local places where you can dine with the locals fo' cheeeep!! Plus, they use steel tanks, and not aluminum tanks. Dives are slightly more expensive than other places, but still cheaper than say Hawaii. 6 divers max to a boat. I think they treat newly certified divers really well. Google them on the 'Net and take a look. I will not dive with anyone else on Cozumel.
P.S. - I have no financial incentives in writing this, just hope you have a good experience with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom