Does it make sense to enroll in a Divemaster course with no intention to work with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I encourage students who don't want to "work" in diving to go for a Master Diver certification. But we teach the SDI Master Diver a bit differently than most. I run that the same as DiveMaster except we don't cover the "business of diving" stuff or a lot of the leadership stuff. Advanced lessons on physics, physiology, various full specialties, etc. These are often co-mingled with DM and instructor students as we teach the same materials. These students become true "master divers".

I encourage students who don't want to "work" in diving to go for a Master Diver certification. But we teach the SDI Master Diver a bit differently than most. I run that the same as DiveMaster except we don't cover the "business of diving" stuff or a lot of the leadership stuff. Advanced lessons on physics, physiology, various full specialties, etc. These are often co-mingled with DM and instructor students as we teach the same materials. These students become true "master divers".
Same as the NAUI program...

So not the same as the PADI Master Scuba Diver
🤭

"I hate PADI" testosterone dripping all over this thread.......SB at its best.
Most of us owe them a debt of gratitude for getting us started in diving.

Many of us on here have moved on from the recreational basics and aren't interested in working in the industry.

Also Rescue Diver was mentioned as an excellent course.

I suggest you find (even online) an instructor with a strong working knowledge of all the options available to you. That instructor should have tech certifications, including cave. HAve a private conversation with that person in which you discuss your history and your plans for the future. You can map out a path to that future together.

And, yes, there are many PADI instructors who are fully technical instructors and cave instructors and and anywhere in between. Ignore all those who perpetuate the myth that PADI only does basic recreational diving.

"I hate PADI" testosterone dripping all over this thread.......SB at its best.
I really don't see much PADI hate here, Rescue has been mentioned a few times as have Tech 40 and PADI technical courses. Is there a lot of respect for PADI Master Diver, probably not a lot but many enjoy it.

Thank you all. Helped me a lot :)

At the moment I'm want to be pretty good as rec diver. I still have less than a hundred dives. I plan to take the Tec 40 to learn more about deco dives, but it is not my goal for now.

The majority of the instructor in this dive shop are frequent tec divers (by PADI) and some of them are also trained and certified by a GUE reference instructor. They sell only PADI courses because that "PADI 5 star" thing, but the instructors are not "pure PADI".

I don't know about other agencies, but I found the OW, AOW and Nitrox courses very good. Maybe not because PADI but because well trained and experienced instructors.

If you're into learning for the sake of learning and not eager to start actually doing more advanced dives yet, maybe you'd enjoy reading some books for now instead of taking courses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom