Does it make sense to enroll in a Divemaster course with no intention to work with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you've been in a real emergency situation, you tend to appreciate any half-realistic training you've received.
My training is quite different from what they teach in a recreational Rescue Course which I believe is useless in a real emergency, other than basic CPR and supplementing O2.

Most people think what other people tell them to think. It's called brainwashing. Rescue Course is frivolous.
Have to disagree.

It depends upon your skills & experience when you take it. When I took Rescue Diver it opened my eyes to start thinking of others, looking outward rather than inward. It was hard and took a while, a winter course. Can honestly say that it was far harder than the novice OW and AOW courses.

It’s one of the few courses I’d take again to refresh the EFR skills and the recreational diving protocols.

Definitely think it was by far and away the best PADI course I experienced.

Have to disagree.

It depends upon your skills & experience when you take it.
When I took Rescue Diver it opened my eyes to start thinking of others,

You begin to think of others at the briefing. Most rescues are too little too late. And no Rescue Course is going to help an inexperienced diver to save anyone in real danger.
Have you ever performed CPR on a victim of circumstance?

Hello,

I find diving a very pleasant hobby. I started diving 6 months ago and I really liked it. Today I have AOWD + Nitrox certs.

But one thing I really enjoy is studying hard things I that I like. So I plan to enroll a lot of the recreational (then Tec 40 to plan deco dives) courses just because.

Talking to the Dive Shop, they said it is cheaper to enroll the Divemaster course (plus specialties) rather than paying for avulses courses. He show me the prices and the courses are cheaper when its packaged with the "career plan".

I don't intent to work as a DM neither show off my DM credential. I just like to learn more about things that I like. And if the cheaper path is towards a DM, why not?

Does it make sense? Or I just describe a Master Scuba Diver (MSD)?

I’d get a second opinion from another shop that starts the conversation with “What are your interests and goals?”

@boulderjohn gave great advice above.

When I was at your stage, the only reason I considered a DM course was to be able to legitimately call bullsh*t when I saw a DM being negligent. I already knew advanced skills would be found in technical courses. I got to the technical courses first and they turned out to be more than adequate to provide convincing suggestions.

The only reason I’d do a DM course now would be to start chartering boats for my own dives. But the manifest would probably be with people that don’t need a DM so it would really just be for regulatory compliance.

I concur, the certifying agencies publish standards but I’ve been on plenty of dives where the DM was negligent and not tuned in to the safety of the divers in his charge. Tact is important but I’m not inclined to back off from the (my) principle that safety trumps pleasantries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom