Does Nitrox "Feel Good"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The more dives i do in a day the more i "feel better" at the end of the day with nitrox

Because my nitrogen loading is so much less

Less tired and less hungry. Don't have these huge food cravings after diving. Kinda missed that...:)

seemingly predictable anecdotal responses. Like most, I feel less tired and less achy after diving on nitrox, particularly after repetitive dives.

About a year ago I decided that these symptoms were probably evidence of sub-clinical DCS and not hops withdrawal. A PFT showed no problems, so I set out to make some changes:
  • Slow down the ascents. My personal rule of thumb is 10ft per minute above 10 feet, 30 feet per minute above 30 feet and never faster than 60 feet per minute. I also increased my safety stop time to at least 5 minutes on any dive below 50 feet.
  • Reduce the ppN. Anything below 50 feet means EAN, anything below 100 feet means trimix. Not always possible to do, but it definitely seems to help.
Hopefully this issue will be the subject of more study.

Steven

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
Me too. Even doing a bunch of shallow training dive I use nitrox. With all the ups, downs, ins and outs i seem to feel much better at the end of the day.

I absolutely feel better when using Nitrox. Whether subclinical DCS or simply due to the increased PPO2, Nitrox is great.

I'm actually more concerned when doing a large number of repetitive ascents during training. We have been known to crank up the O2 in the staff bottles to 36 or 40 percent. This works because there is no chance of exceeding the MOD in our training cove, even if someone got completely lost and tried to swim to Bermuda.

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...

I'm actually more concerned when doing a large number of repetitive ascents during training. We have been known to crank up the O2 in the staff bottles to 36 or 40 percent.

Not that it matters to me, but I thought EAN was an OSHA nightmare for working divers.

Steven

reefraff once bubbled...

Not that it matters to me, but I thought EAN was an OSHA nightmare for working divers.

Steven
It is. In fact an instructor can teach a nitrox course and conduct dives, students are not under osha regulation since theyare not commerial divers, the instructor is since he/she is getting paid. In reality the instructor while getting paid should be diving air. Its a good thing that osha is not taking us seriously since we do not meet most of the osha opperational regulations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom