Does Nitrox "Feel Good"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison

Trusty Shellback
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
This was posted in another thread but deserves its own, especially the question of "feel"...
Rick

AquaTec once bubbled...
question regarding the dive or not to dive issue
when you do two back to back dives, or better yet three

1 - do you find a difference when diving air versues a best mix nitrox? do you "feel" any different.?
2 - Is your real dive exactly the same as the dive you planned for on paper?

do your answers offer any thoughts to the dive or no dive issue.

I offten combine the Nitrox class with aother such as drysuit etc

I am not as tired, in fact I feel energized. There is no need for a nap. :tease:

I do not have any subtle "achiness" afterwards.

Since most of my dives are with students, it really does NOT affect how I plan a dive.

Me too. Even doing a bunch of shallow training dive I use nitrox. With all the ups, downs, ins and outs i seem to feel much better at the end of the day.

Absolutely no difference between my energy level after nitrox or after air. OTOH, diving is still a rush and I feel full of energy after dives.

But the few dives that I did deeper (100-120ft) on air instead, left me stopping for more coffee on the way home... kinda sluggish, maybe a little drowsy... despite brief stops every 10 ft on ascent....

Real subjective topic... but I don't recall feeling that way on the several dives to the same depth with EAN30.

The first one was Nitrox. I do feel better after diving with Nitrox instead of regular air. I used to dread the drive home after a Sunday dive becuase of being tired (4 hour drive).

The second change was slow ascents. After AOW class, I've slowed my ascents from 30fpm to 10fpm. This seems to have made a bigger difference than the nitrox.

As I'm still a relatively new diver, your mileage may vary.

Jarhead

i do perceive to 'feel better' on nitrox - not feeling the dull achiness, or the drowsiness at the end of the dive day. typically these were to < 60 fsw (not exacly taking advantage of the extended bottom time here but sometimes i get nitrox for the price of air so what the hey :D )

best 'feel good' experience - 80+ mins at ~ 45 fsw on EaNx 36 - i walked out of the water lugging a deco bottle onto soft sand but with energy to immediately do full gear rinse, etc and headed straight to lunch and then class without once nodding off :)

I personally don't feel any difference one way or another. About 95% of my dives are Nitrox. I use it for more bottom time and shorter SIs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom