Does scuba gear often seem severely overpriced ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafanatic

Contributor
Reaction score
As an example, over the last year, I've purchased (2) used Scubapro S 600 2nd-stages (a gen 1 and a gen 2 version) @ about $ 150 each. Both are in essentially new condition, so I was satisfied with both purchases, especially since I shopped brand new units and they are running 3 TIMES as much @ $ 450 each !!!

I feel that a brand new unit should be running $ 150 max, I paid $ 150 each for units 10 or so years old, but $ 450 each is WAY out of control!

A second stage is just a molded plastic case with a few mechanical bits inside, upon examination, remarkably simple inside, I'm just blown away @ $ 450 ! I wonder what the cost of production actually is?

Last edited:
Between manufacturing costs, marketing budgets (etc) and profit margins, I think most retail SCUBA gear is priced at a premium but perhaps not outrageously poor value. On par with any other high end hobby/sport. Mountain bikes? Rock climbing rope? Basketball shoes?

Does seem some items are marked up significantly more than others.

That said, I can get you a brand new 42$ regulator, but it won't be with the warrantee, material consistency, manufacturing tolerances, quality control, service network and brand recognition of your s600 regs.

I'm a fan of the used gear market, so we need people buying new equipment and selling it unused a few years later at a significant loss. Once they have enjoyed the gratification of having the latest reg, a warrantee and the piece of mind brand new provides them they can pass on the remaining value of a reg to those of us who enjoy the utility of a serviceable tried and true reg.

Cameron

Between manufacturing costs, marketing budgets (etc) and profit margins, I think most retail SCUBA gear is priced at a premium but perhaps not outrageously poor value. On par with any other high end hobby/sport. Mountain bikes? Rock climbing rope? Basketball shoes?

Does seem some items are marked up significantly more than others.

That said, I can get you a brand new 42$ regulator, but it won't be with the warrantee, material consistency, manufacturing tolerances, quality control, service network and brand recognition of your s600 regs.

I'm a fan of the used gear market, so we need people buying new equipment and selling it unused a few years later at a significant loss. Once they have enjoyed the gratification of having the latest reg, a warrantee and the piece of mind brand new provides them they can pass on the remaining value of a reg to those of us who enjoy the utility of a serviceable tried and true reg.

Cameron

With respect to scuba gear, I'll buy gently used when available, but usually end up buying new in most product categories. The scuba gear categories I find myself most often buying used are tanks and regulators. I pretty much stick to new for things like lights, computers, wet suits, fins, masks, BCD/wings, safety gear.

~snip~
A second stage is just a molded plastic case with a few mechanical bits inside, upon examination, remarkably simple inside, I'm just blown away @ $ 450 ! I wonder what the cost of production actually is?
Depending on tool design and quality (typically NOT good on a SCUBA regulator with poor bedding, moulding flash, slider witness lines and sink marks evident) over amortised unit volume I'd say under $10 for a second stage (no hose).

Scuba gear isn't cheap by any means, but if you look at the market, even the highest volume manufacturers are still TINY compared to a lot of other sports/hobbies. And most people are not replacing their gear on a regular basis.

I can tell you I've spent probably $20-30,000 on scuba gear. I am the exception, not the rule. Most scuba divers are going to spend $1000-$2000 on a set of scuba gear over the course of their lifetimes.

When you look at the cost of manufacture, tooling for injection molded parts, machine time, etc., you can see why manufacturers tend to stick with the same design for several generations of product. They may change colorways, some aesthetic piece of plastic, etc., yet the fact that aside from the Flight, Apeks uses the same first and second stage parts kits for their whole regulator line goes to show that they're not changing much. The volume just isn't high enough. They've gotta get what use they can out of tooling, molds, dies, etc.

Your LDS NEEDS a large markup on stuff to stay alive, because the scuba business isn't a cash cow. Even in busy beach resorts, they're not selling a grand worth of gear to everyone that comes into their shop. Most shops are probably lucky if they sell 5 grand worth of product a day.

I haven't seen the guy around that was into scuba marketing. rjp or something I think his username was, but I'd be curious to see some of the statistics he's got on gear purchasing within the scuba industry.

Depending on tool design and quality (typically NOT good on a SCUBA regulator with poor bedding, moulding flash, slider witness lines and sink marks evident) over amortised unit volume I'd say under $10 for a second stage (no hose).

That's even more overpriced than I'd imagined! $10 vs $ 450 !

I'm glad you're just as deeply passionate about this issue as I am!

Yeah, this is another hobby that seems to get price inflation if the gear has "scuba" in the description. Sucks, but as northernone pointed out, not unique. I do tend to buy new, but have found other sources for some things, like bolt snaps, that aren't catering to divers and can usually save a nickel or two. Also like to diy things when practical, although that can sometimes end up costing more than if I just ordered it, lol.

Scuba gear isn't cheap by any means, but if you look at the market, even the highest volume manufacturers are still TINY compared to a lot of other sports/hobbies. And most people are not replacing their gear on a regular basis.

I can tell you I've spent probably $20-30,000 on scuba gear. I am the exception, not the rule. Most scuba divers are going to spend $1000-$2000 on a set of scuba gear over the course of their lifetimes.

When you look at the cost of manufacture, tooling for injection molded parts, machine time, etc., you can see why manufacturers tend to stick with the same design for several generations of product. They may change colorways, some aesthetic piece of plastic, etc., yet the fact that aside from the Flight, Apeks uses the same first and second stage parts kits for their whole regulator line goes to show that they're not changing much. The volume just isn't high enough. They've gotta get what use they can out of tooling, molds, dies, etc.

Your LDS NEEDS a large markup on stuff to stay alive, because the scuba business isn't a cash cow. Even in busy beach resorts, they're not selling a grand worth of gear to everyone that comes into their shop. Most shops are probably lucky if they sell 5 grand worth of product a day.

I haven't seen the guy around that was into scuba marketing. rjp or something I think his username was, but I'd be curious to see some of the statistics he's got on gear purchasing within the scuba industry.

Yeah, I remember that 'rjp' guy but it doesn't appear he's been active on SB for many years now, he'd probably have some cool stats on this issue, that's for sure. Since certified in 2001, I'm sure I'm past the $ 50K mark in gear purchases, and 2X that in trip expenses.

Back
Top Bottom