Does the bubble....cause trouble....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RICHinNC

Contributor
Reaction score
I have seen a number of threads regarding if anyone had trouble carry on board a flight various pieces of gear, but even after a number of searches, I have found nothing on if anyone has ever had problems with a compass.

My compass....and probably most of yours....is fluid filled and has a bubble because the space is never totally fluid filled. This bubble screams there is a fluid present and we all know how diligent....silly.....security can be.

Has anyone ever had a problem carrying their compass on board because of the fluid?

My compass has inadvertently made it through security on numerous occasions. My bag with dive gear always ends up being hand searched, but they're generally more interested in the regs and backplate and the times I've flown with CCR, the plenum.

Just to "avoid a hassle", I take my compass out of the console, wrap it in a couple socks and stick it in my check in bag to be replaced upon arrival at destination.

As for how much fluid there is in there, beats me. And, I am sure it beats security too.

can't say I've ever had a compass be a problem.......sometimes they want to hand inspect my regs, and rarely the regs get swabbed for explosives....the majority of the time the regs go through the scanner without comment/incident.

I've never had a problem with a compass, I'm not sure I've ever seen security even take much of a look at it.

I have never thought of the liquid in the compass! I have flown with mine in my carry-on over about two dozen times and never a problem. Forgetting to check my dive knife, on the other hand, was a bit of an issue...

I have never thought of the liquid in the compass! I have flown with mine in my carry-on over about two dozen times and never a problem. Forgetting to check my dive knife, on the other hand, was a bit of an issue...

No kidding!!!

I had a pen knife in my pants pocket in a backpact I had forgotten about....the blade less than one inch. You would have thought I was Osaamma Ben Ladin. Just keep the dang thing. And they did.

There's a good reason you found nothing on anyone having problems with compasses...

There's a good reason you found nothing on anyone having problems with compasses...

......long pause.........:popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom