Does the perception of crime or safety affect your travel plans?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We put a deposit down on a Bonaire trip last weekend--then I heard about the burglaries, and I am considering whether we should cancel and give up the deposit. Worrying about your t-shirt and flip-flops (not to mention the spare tire) being stolen from the truck is bad enough, but burglary is an order of magnitude worse.
Folks may go on about "personal responsibility" and "common sense," but if locking your room and putting valuables in the safe isn't an adequate precaution because the thieves crowbar the locks off and the safes off the wall, what other options are there?
Anybody know where I can rent a large, mean dog? ;-)

Oh look, someone answered the original post fairly directly....

I'd put that down for a "YES".

Haigh Quarry is lovely this time of year. Very safe, too.

Folks may go on about "personal responsibility" and "common sense," but if locking your room and putting valuables in the safe isn't an adequate precaution because the thieves crowbar the locks off and the safes off the wall, what other options are there?

Another option is to not bring anything you wouldn't mind losing. That's sort of what I do when I'm traveling anyway (if the thugs on Bonaire don't get it, the TSA might).

Take reasonable measures to protect your person, and leave the 'stuff' you'd like to protect at home (ie. wedding rings, jewelery, computers, phones, etc...).

Obviously you can't dive without some $ in gear, so I guess you have to take your chances or make sure you're always using the gear.

I think the biggest perception problem isn't just that there's crime. The big perception problem is that there is crime that would be easy to stop if someone in charge gave a crap. We do live with crime in our hometowns, but most of us wouldn't stand for authorities who don't give a crap about stopping it.

Take reasonable measures to protect your person, and leave the 'stuff' you'd like to protect at home (ie. wedding rings, jewelery, computers, phones, etc...).
Yet another reasonable measure is to insure what you take down with you. I'm not about to drag my housing and camera and lenses and ports and strobes, over $10K worth of crap, with me every time I go out to eat at night. Then again, I've never had any issue with photographic gear or laptop or anything for that matter getting stolen on any of my 4 trips there, so perhaps I'm just too complacent?

I like leaving my truck with the window rolled down since the interior stays cooler that way. Very little chance of someone smashing your window since they'd have to roll it up to smash it and they're not that desperate to make broken glass. If I left my truck with the window rolled down shore diving near home, even in posh Laguna Beach, it's doubtful the truck would remain unmolested if it were even still there when I returned from the dive.

(Recently I heard there was a burglary in Los Angeles, I had better move!)

And to answer the question, I'm definitely looking forward to trip #5. The only thing I hate about Bonaire is it's overwhelming with too many good choices. Where to dive among the 50 or so great dive sites? Where to eat among the 50 or so great restaurants? Where to stay among the 50 or so decent hotels/condos? And more of each added every year, how can one possibly keep up without moving there?

Are you booking into a compound lodging area Like BuddyDive, the Plaza or a number of other resort areas... or, are you booking into a small villa away from the shore area?

We're scheduled to stay at Buddy Dive.
I haven't absolutely decided to cancel but I am concerned enough to be considering it.
If we do go, insurance is definitely in the plans, just in case.

We put a deposit down on a Bonaire trip last weekend--then I heard about the burglaries, and I am considering whether we should cancel and give up the deposit.

You should cancel and give up the deposit. In fact, if it would make you feel better you can have the deposit changed to my name. I'll go down and find out what all the hub-bub is about and report back.

:eyebrow:

We're scheduled to stay at Buddy Dive.
I haven't absolutely decided to cancel but I am concerned enough to be considering it.
If we do go, insurance is definitely in the plans, just in case.
The last time we were on Bonaire we stayed at Buddy Dive.
Buddy Dive:
  • Closed compound with guard on duty at the entrance 24/7 and security walking the compound at night
  • Rental car stop is right there at Buddy Dive
  • House reef is available for onsite vacationers 24/7
  • Gear is stored in a central area that is locked at night, but vacationers have access to tanks and locked gear - None of us had any issues with gear storage...

Now the standard list to help keep you safer:
When you get to Bonaire (when we were there last) You receive a packet of information and you have the park orientation. Through the packet and the video (can't remember what was in which delivery) you get a whole briefing on how to stay safer.
Things like:
  • Don't take anything in the vehicle you don't want to lose if you leave it there.
  • Don't roll up the windows when you are parked and don't lock the doors. If you do there is a chance someone will break the windows
    [*]Don't worry about tanks, they don't usually mess with scuba tanks
  • Take notice of your surroundings when you arrive at the dive site. If you are not comfortable with the site, go to a different site.
  • Do not leave any valuables or passports out in the open. Lock them in the safe
  • Cameras and other equipment should be packed away in a safe place out of the open view
  • At night travel in a small group and park in lighted areas
  • When you leave your room, lock all doors and windows (as well as at night)
Is this a comprehensive list that will insure your safety? No.

But...
Other than the "windows down and car doors unlocked", these are pretty much vacation "do's" for every vacation.

Here is a list taken from another thread where the original poster came back after a break in to offer his opinion of things that would have helped keep them safer from a break in...

Posted by someone who was the victim of a break in on Bonaire
  • As far as I know, none of the places hit had nighttime security. Those are probably your safest bet.
  • Make sure you don't stay in an end unit. Try to get the units closest to the lobby/office.
  • If you stay in a building with multiple levels, don't stay on the 1st floor.
  • If somebody (dive shop, travel agent, etc.) is arranging your trip, do your own due diligence. No matter how safe they say the island or hotel is, I promise you they are not liable for 1 cent if any of your belongings are taken.
Buddy Dive has all the "safety suggestions" made by someone who was the victim of a break in on Bonaire.

I hope this helps you make an informed decision. For what it's worth, we had a great time when we went last and we are scheduled for two weeks at the Plaza this year with more than 30 divers in our group

We put a deposit down on a Bonaire trip last weekend--then I heard about the burglaries, and I am considering whether we should cancel and give up the deposit. Worrying about your t-shirt and flip-flops (not to mention the spare tire) being stolen from the truck is bad enough, but burglary is an order of magnitude worse.
Anybody know where I can rent a large, mean dog? ;-)

Are you kidding? Good grief man, you live in Chicago, a town where the cops are scared to go some places at night. Boniare is crime free compaired to where you are from.

If you where talking Iraq, Pakistan, or Middle East! We are talking a lot safer then Mexico! No Drug Cartel, no street hustlers, and with a few STANDARD precautions a safe trip to a dive paradise! We all need to wake up and realize the real world folks! There are a lot of bad people in the world and if your going to let them run your life stay home!!!! As Ben Franklin said "He who gives up freedom for security deserves neither"!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom