Does this make sense to any of you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, if you pay attention when you read the article it states that the 96-foot dive was their fourth dive of the class (one on day one, two on day two, and this was the first dive of three on day three). Even by PADI's standards ... which are lower than most other agencies with respect to the number of dives required for certification ... they need four dives to become certified. So if the article is accurate, these were not yet certified divers.

As you can see from my previous posts, I would be far more concerned about an accidental ascent than an accidental descent.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Bob,

I re-read the article. It talks about the first day, e.g. "Did you see that Lobster?" then it takes about the second day, e.g. a two tank dive to 50 and 60. Assuming the first day was also a two tank dive, that would be the 4 dives for OW. The next paragraph starts, "The last day of diving was a three-tank 'safari' dive." It is not clear if the last day was the third day and I would strongly suspect the last day was the sixth day (most people spend a week at a resort, especially if you are coming from NY).

This said, I've taken the PADI course twice (once in Jamaica and once at home). Additionally, I've had a few dozen more dives since then. I now know enough to know I wouldn't have been ready to go to 96' immediately after getting certified.

"Resort course" is synonymous with fast-track certification ... nobody wants to spend any more of their limited vacation time than they have to in class. "Fast" is the appeal of such courses. I've spent remedial time with several graduates of those classes ...(Grateful Diver)

The term "Resort Course" is used by many different people to describe a number of different levels of training.

Some people would be referring to the Intro or Discover Dive class, which is a brief lecture, Confined Water session #1 of the OW course and is usually followed with at least one shallow open water dive (which may be considered Open Water dive #1). On a two week stay you could do as many shallow dives with that instructor/shop as schedule/finances allow.

Some people would be referring to the PADI Scuba Diver cert course, which is considered half way through the Open Water Diver course. Complete the first three chapters in the Open Water manual, the Knowledge Reviews following those chapters, take the Quizzes for those chapters, complete the Confined Water sessions #2 & #3 and then complete Open Water dive #2 (plus 3 dive flexible skills). The Scuba Diver cert let's you make shallow Pro guided dives "without" doing the Intro class each time you vacation. It also holds your place in the Open Water course, so you just need to finish the last two chapters of the book, Quiz #4 and Final Exam, CW sessions #4 & #5 and Open Water dives #3 & #4.

Some people would be referring to full certification in as little as 2 or 3 days at a resort. To do it in 2 days, the student would have to plan ahead, completing the academics on their own either by reading the Manual and completing the KR's before arrival at the resort, or by doing the same online with e-learning. Then there would be review of the KR's, 4 quizzes, Final Exam, All CW sessions and the 4 OW training dives. Even with all homework completed, that's a lot to do in 2 days and the vast majority of prospective divers would not enjoy or be well served by such a fast pace. There are a few who will do fine with the 2 day cert, IF the instructor/shop is capable and the student is properly motivated. 3 days is easier and common, even with non-resort dive shops and agencies other than PADI.

As stated above, some vacationers take more than 3 days to finish a resort course, even as much as 2 weeks, but the amount of time with the instructor is not necessarily increased, just a more relaxed pace.

With today's budget and time constraints, a very high percentage of the annual certified divers probably did the 3 day course, even though it may not have been at a resort. Depending on the instructor and the effort/ability of the student, some of those new divers do not need remedial instruction, although most OW divers will benefit from continuing their dive training.

Edit/addition; when using the 2 and 3 day class terms, I am not counting the time the student spends on homework. In my opinion the average student takes ~8 hours to do the academics, not including the KR review, Quizzes and Final Exam.

you made a few wrong assumptions
Actually, this whole thread is full of assumptions. However, I did talk to a friend who's a NAUI Instructor. Every agency requires 4 OW dives and an optional skindive can be added in. With that in mind, there isn't any agency that is less qualified than another one, regarding how many dives are required.
Your memory isn't correct ... but I'll let you do your own research.
I guess it depends on the year, but those are the current standards.
"Resort course" is synonymous with fast-track certification ... nobody wants to spend any more of their limited vacation time than they have to in class. "Fast" is the appeal of such courses. I've spent remedial time with several graduates of those classes ...... Bob (Grateful Diver)
An Introductory course, Discover Scuba Diving or Resort is all the same. That's different from a certification course. What is called a fast-track course is a certification course done in a few days. A Resort course does not get you certified, nor a card to go with it. Resort courses have been around for a long time. For someone to remediate or refresh periodically is a good thing.

I don't care which course you go through, or which Instructor you had. If you haven't been in the water in a while, you need to refresh your skills.

"Resort course" is synonymous with fast-track certification ... nobody wants to spend any more of their limited vacation time than they have to in class. "Fast" is the appeal of such courses. I've spent remedial time with several graduates of those classes ...

And I go on a cruise each winter just to keep my rescue skills sharp. :D

There's nothing like watching the Sunday and Monday sessions in a 5' pool, knowing that on Wednesday, they'll be "certified."

Terry

Every agency requires 4 OW dives and an optional skindive can be added in. With that in mind, there isn't any agency that is less qualified than another one, regarding how many dives are required.
To continue this useless digression ... nowhere did I say anything about qualifications. Go back and read what I wrote again ... I even highlighted it in red to make it simple for you. Try to comprehend what you're reading this time.

With that in mind, you are STILL wrong.

NAUI requires five dives. One may be a skin dive, but if you opt not to do a skin dive, you must do a fifth scuba dive (5 dives required).

SSI requires five scuba dives, and recommends an additional skin dive (5 dives required, one optional).

YMCA requires four scuba dives and one skin dive (5 dives total).

PDIC requires four scuba dives and one skin dive (5 dives total).

IANTD requires five scuba dives, six if you're including nitrox with the OW certification (5 or 6 dives total).

PADI requires four scuba dives (4 dives total).

You do the math ... I simply stated a fact ... PADI requires fewer dives than most other agencies for OW certification.

I said nothing about qualifications, nor did I make even a HINT of a value judgment about the quality of education provided ... you made that part up all by yourself.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

SSI requires five scuba dives, and recommends an additional skin dive (5 dives required, one optional).
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Actually, SSI requires 4 scuba dives.

SSI OW STANDARDS:
The Open Water Diver course requires a minimum
of four open water scuba dives. No more than three
open water scuba dives may be conducted per day for
Open Water Diver training. The three scuba dives may
be any combination of training and excursion dives.
Whenever practical, a snorkel dive and additional
open water scuba dives are recommended. Snorkel
skills are required but may be combined with open
water scuba dives. If a student does not successfully
complete all skills during a dive they may complete
those skills during a dive later that same day or at
another time.

Actually, SSI requires 4 scuba dives.
I stand corrected ... I was basing my statement on prior experience working at an SSI shop that provided five dives for OW certification. I can see from your quoted text that the fifth dive was recommended, not required.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

We dove Grand Cayman twice last year. We reached the floor at 97' where the wall promptly dropped off in to clear blue abyss a thousand feet deep. With all there is to see, I could imagine (kids especially) losing track of depth and ending up at a hundred odd feet before realizing it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom