Does this tank look bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buy the tank

Things to consider when choosing a used tank:

how old is the tank?

*while steel tanks are okay Walter Kidde, US Divers and Luxfer aluminum tanks from 72 to 89 have been removed by the department of transportation due to the poor quality of the aluminum alloy that was produced back then.

when was the last hydro?

*If it's way out of hydro you are taking a BIG risk

when was the last vip?

*If it hasn't been VIP in awhile you are taking a BIG risk

if it's completely drained of air when was the last time it was filled?

*pitting, rusting, and other things occur when stored without air for long periods of time. Always, always keep some air in your tank.

how was the tank stored?
Steel tanks rust easily if not taken care of.

The main concern is what the tank looks like in the inside. While the outside (based on the pictures) doesn't look like it would fail the inside is a different story. If it still has a 50-100 psi in the tank still I don't see a huge problem with this tank. There may be some pitting on the bottom of the tank but I can't tell from the pictures. If you think this tank is worth a potential investment of $80 then go for it.

The sad thing is that ignorant LDS are condemming tanks left and right that have decades of safe service left
Names?
Dates?
Places?
I've been around Scuba for 40 years and have yet to see a Dive Shop condemn a tank. All condemnations I've seen have been from the hydro shop...
Rick

Names?
Dates?
Places?
I've been around Scuba for 40 years and have yet to see a Dive Shop condemn a tank. All condemnations I've seen have been from the hydro shop...
Rick

If they won't fill it strickly because of it's age and material of construction even if it passes hyro and vis it is useless to the diver and is in fact defacto condemed.

It's probably at least $20 worth of steel. If it fails, sell it to a scrap yard.

Around here, they pay clase to $30 for AL 80s at scrap yards. I'm not sure what people get for steel tanks.

Yup, we sold our scrap (grade 2) yesterday ... $100.00/ ton ($0.05 cents per lb.) I can't imagine why someone would pay $1.00 per lb. for scrap steel. That's well more than virgin mat'l costs.

Is the tank in the OP vinyl coated or painted? Any galvanizing under the paint to vinyl? Or is it bare steel under there? If bare steel I would avoid this tank, too much work to check under that broken coating for hidden pits and then you'll need to re-cold galvanize it.

I specifically asked that question during my PSI Inspector class and was told that I could absolutely condemn a tank and render it unusable based on a failed visual. It isn't common practice, but it is legal.
Only with the owner's consent. You should get that in writing. Only hydrostatic testing carries any federal legal consequences. There are of course, many slippery civil slopes in visual inspection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom