Doing it by yourself

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

being accostomed to a group setting, i find quite eerie diving solo.(not my decision) as i was trying to retrieve an errant fin of someone in the group, i got caught in a cross-current which swept me way out of course. i then tried to enjoy the limited dive i had. after trying to circle to the original spot, i encountered two titan triggefishes. i know that these little *******s are agressive since i have seen someone i know got bitten at the hind quarters which tore into her wetsuit & caused some bleeding. after ten minutes, i decided to surface to see where i was thrown.

in some instance, it is nice to have a somewhat solo dive. in one big site, i together with 2 buddies decided to explore different areas of the reef, but maintaining visibility of one another. if one finds something interesting, he/she would just give a tap or blast from their horn. there is no rush to go up, just one long relaxing dive in shallow waters until our air runs out.

I do on occasion. And i see no problem with it.

Can't resist the thread....Mainly solo dive, on and off for 20yrs now. Last couple yrs camera has reinforced my joy of solo diving. Have 19cf pony, back up everything else. It is one of those things that makes sense to you and you are comfortable with the risks or your not.

Dove with my wife for years until she got burnt out on it. I have have been diving by myself for 5+ years, and over 400+ dives solo. I enjoy my time in the water as much as ever.

Dive solo when I dive for lobster. In my experience, in the limited visability that most lobster dives take place in, they always turn into solo dives. I limit my solo diving to 30 ft. max., use a pony, never go into or under anything that might be a problem. The biggest danger I see is not the diving, it's the entry and exit, as its often over slippery rocks and into a significant shore break. Since I dive at night, a fall within the tide line resulting in unconsciousness could be fatal, so I am extra careful and will scrub a dive if the entry conditions look too challenging. I do it because I love to eat lobster, but you have to be alive to enjoy them.

"It's a good thing you dive solo bro...and I can respect your views on living free etc.....BUT, safety has never and will never be overrated. I think that you may believe that because nothing bad has ever happened to you or a close friend while diving...and I truely hope it never does...."

Oh my dear fellow, I substitue skill for safety--wink--wink. This facination with safety is a relatively new phenomena in human history as is the consideration that happiness be an end goal. It has become all out of proportion and the adherence to the safety and only safety mantra (not just diving) is sucking the life, adventure and flavor out of everything--even food. There have been a number of studies over the years on risk takers vs non risk takers and there is decided that there is actually a difference in brain chemistry and activity between the two groups. I have decided the two types cannot actually cohabitate in any particular undertaking. Yeah, I am a risk taker and it is wonderfull. Please, I don't need a lieyer to legislate my safety.

No, never saw any of my buddies expired the water but I did see a group taken out of a cave and everyone cried and I did not know them but people were throwing up and it was very heart wrenching---actually words are not available. Had a fellow die of a heart attack also in the water once--that was truely terrible and we all tried so hard for him too. Riding fast motorcycles though, yeah, a few fellows have been lost, they will be remembered in every curve we thwack the throttle to the stop and go for it. I have lost some aviation friends too. I think it best to stay up on your religion because we are all headed for the afterlife sooner or later. Two co-workers died in their sleep, young and healthy people, one a stroke and another the heart quit, this in the last three months. When our maker calls it is time to go and that is all I know.

Safety is way over rated, live dangerous and die free. NO FEAR. N

Gotta admit I dive solo but never on a single tank, always with doubles and hardly ever past 30 metres...well once or twice but I try not to...

Nemrod:
Riding fast motorcycles though, yeah, a few fellows have been lost, they will be remembered in every curve we thwack the throttle to the stop and go for it.

That does it. We need to set up a MC ride out to Table Rock. That would give me an excuse to get my sprockets replaced.

Divmstr223:
It's a good thing you dive solo bro...and I can respect your views on living free etc.....BUT, safety has never and will never be overrated. I think that you may believe that because nothing bad has ever happened to you or a close friend while diving...and I truely hope it never does....:wink:

Someday, somehow, somewhere, I'm going to have a toe tag. I'd much rather bite it doing something I enjoy than die driving to work, or of a heart attack on my couch. I'm with Nemrod on this one.

Back
Top Bottom