Doing it Ridiculous

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlndavid:
ok sparky everybody knows tube/analog is far superior:D

Yeah, baby! Gimme a single-ended triode and my Merrill Heirloom Turntable. Sheesh, talk about an expensive hobby...

mrjcrickett:
If you are diving with some sort of technical task (welding, search, construction) would that be "technical".

No, that would be commercial or public service.
Technical diving involves overheads, be them real (caves, and wrecks) or virtual (deco).

And yes, in the audio world, tubes rule!!!

redhatmama:
Explain why someone who works for Apollo Sports which happens to make split fins, among other products, is necessarily someone with an anti-DIR interest. Does it have to be them against us? It's hard to believe that a fin preference can be such a devisive issue. Reminds me of the arguments on rec.audio.high-end: Tubes vs. Solid State, Analog vs. Digital.

They all produce music and they all have their fans.

This is silly.

You wanna talk about silly? You should see my hubby trying to do a frog kick in split fins!

mrjcrickett:
So if you are diving for FUN, would that be "recreational"? If you are diving with some sort of technical task (welding, search, construction) would that be "technical".( O I forgot "task loading", using your brain makes it technical I guess) I have to say I laugh pretty hard when I hear about someone who calls themselves a "DIR Diver" who dives for FUN making fun of "recreational" divers using "recreational" gear. And yes, I dive for fun....with doubles on a plate.......

If one diver says they are "doing it right", is that a claim that all others are "doing it wrong"? Happy diving!
\
James

I think all recreational divers could benefit from DIR concepts. Its worth looking into if only to know exactly what it is your finding fault with.

redhatmama:
Gimme a single-ended triode and my Merrill Heirloom Turntable.

is that a rebreather? who makes it?

:wink:

H2Andy:
i mean, what possible rhetorical point could he be making by sharing
this annecdote with us? it's not "let's all get along and love one another"
that's for sure

this is silly, btw... i do agree

I suppose he could have been making one of those generic points like the non-specific complaints of newly minted PADI divers rototilling coral or something. I don't see how GUE would threaten the sales of split fins when obviously the number of split fins are increasing, so the market must be increasing for split fins.

I want to fly in a spaceship too.

I think DIR is a good system if you need it, but I also follow the hogarthian idea that you should only bring what you need.

I had a recent encounter with a diver down in the florida keys, we were doing the USS Duane and i was using a single 80 on my hogarthian rig with my big freediving fins. And here comes mr. DIR with double 80's(only one with doubles), DR super wing, and jet fins, getting on my case about how my freediving fins will stir up silt

just no reasoning with people like this

D1V3R:
And here comes mr. DIR with double 80's(only one with doubles), DR super wing, and jet fins, getting on my case about how my freediving fins will stir up silt

Which isn't remotely DIR....which means he wasn't DIR...which means you were wrong attributing your ideas about DIR to the wrong guy....

But...just keep on posting and perpetuating the myth.

D1V3R:
I think DIR is a good system if you need it, but I also follow the hogarthian idea that you should only bring what you need.

I had a recent encounter with a diver down in the florida keys, we were doing the USS Duane and i was using a single 80 on my hogarthian rig with my big freediving fins. And here comes mr. DIR with double 80's(only one with doubles), DR super wing, and jet fins, getting on my case about how my freediving fins will stir up silt

Im not DIR and my only knowledge of it is reading but the person you encountered dosnt sound like they were. DIR encourages minamalism from what I understand. I dove the duane can see why a person would use doubles on it.

Back
Top Bottom