Doing it Ridiculous

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Having the tank secured with the valve far too low for the diver to have a prayer of reaching their valve is only good for 10 points because it's soooo common but the certifying instructor gets the same 10 points for not knowing that a diver should be able to reach their valve."

Now, explain again why a single tank diver using a K valve with a typical regulator equipped with octapus, LP inflator and SPG hose would need to access the valve during an OW dive? What are you doing, adjusting the flow rate or something?
I would be almost willing to bet 100,000 points that I, a non DIR vintage diver, can out swim 90% of the DIR divers on this planet. I give 10,000 points to using doubles on an iso manifold on a 60 foot reef. I give 5,000 points for having more regulators that orifi to place them in. I give 5,000 points for sneaking a computer in the pocket which is anti-DIR. I give 20,000 points for heavy BP used with excess weight. I give another 20,000 for a dry suit in water warmer than 75 degrees. I give 50,000 points for the "wheelbarrow" which is holding the arms out front while swimming with a plethora of instruments that could be neatly carried in a console. I give 500,000 points for calling a non DIR diver a stroke who is probably a very fine diver just out for some fun. Oh, I give another 500,000 for having a 1,000 dollar HID canister light with redundancy in clear water at high noon. I give an obilgatory 5,000 for having a seven foot long hose in OW. I also count 10,000 for wearing hiking boot sized boots with Jet Fins when diving from a boat in warm water. Another 10,000 for having a knot on the head from wearing the tank to high and at least 1,000,000 for wearing a helmet in OW. Maybe, say, 10,000 for the all black thing but dang if Johnny Cash was a diver he might be all black.

Take all that back, the point sytem is just a way to hurt others for no benifit beyond ego and is certainly one of the more Rediculous aspects of "Doing It Rediculous" or doing it any other way.

The point system is insulting and should go away.
N

OMG im only reading bits and pieces of this thread but what i catch is amusing....
nemrod your a funny guy :)

Nemrod:
The point system is insulting and should go away.

I agree 150%. Notice I didn't participate. That being said, it sounds to me like you've got just as many insecurity issues as some of the bucket-headed DIR/Quasi DIR/not actually GUE trained but masquerading as DIR divers have....

I'm done wasting my time. I've got no need to defend myself against others who obviously have their opinions formed and won't be changing them. I also don't care to get into a whizzing match with someone half-the country away.

I don't care what other people think about me personally. If other divers did too, the whole name calling and point thing would be a non-issue. Of course, as we all know, society has changed too much. People are all about warm fuzzies, not laying it on the line and telling the truth. Would you dive with an unsafe diver, Nemrod, simply to spare their feelings of telling them they are unsafe? I think not and I hope not.

Goodnight and safe dives :14:

Man Nemrod, you spoil the fun. I was counting my score and I thought I have collected millions of points, hoping to trade the points for some DIR RUM (Drink it Right rum)..... and you want to abolish the point system?! :rofl:

Nemrod:
Now, explain again why a single tank diver using a K valve with a typical regulator equipped with octapus, LP inflator and SPG hose would need to access the valve during an OW dive?
How about a first stage failure at 90ft? Being able to turn your tank off and on might get you back to the surface rather than losing all your air at once without being able to stop the tank emptying.
Just an idea.

Derek S:
... it sounds to me like you've got just as many insecurity issues as some of the bucket-headed DIR/Quasi DIR/not actually GUE trained but masquerading as DIR divers have....

He also posted a picture of himself wearing quasi-plum smugglers on internet just like George! I'm beginning to think there is a correlation between being outspoken and wearing tight shorts.

Kim:
How about a first stage failure at 90ft? Being able to turn your tank off and on might get you back to the surface rather than losing all your air at once without being able to stop the tank emptying.
Just an idea.

This is a good question. I had a bad leak start in my first stage right after descent, due to allowing an unqualified tech reassemble my reg. I heard the bubbles but didn't know what was going on. So I stripped off my bc with my primary in my mouth to look. It had a bad leak so I turned it off and on to breath while ascending. Unless you have a redundant air you have to do it this way because if you can't see the valve, isn't it too slow reaching behind your head? especially if the hp seat totally blew or an lp hose blew. Of course, there is always your buddy's octo....:D oops. He was there but I did it this way anyway.

I just noticed this thread. Here are my two cents worth: First, I don't anticipate I'll ever go over to DIR. Second, I don't think it is particularly dangerous to dive DIR. So, if someone gets enjoyment out of having all that gear and following the program, let them. Third, when I told my brother-in-law about DIR and just how seemingly sophisticated it is, his comment was that they're still just recreational divers and that if they want to go to the next level, they will join the Israeli Navy and do that program.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom