Doing it Ridiculous

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randy43068:
Doc, I agree with you totally!

GUE has the best trained instructors and a superior product (IMHO) but as an organization they don't market their 'system' well.
This would be a valid complaint if what they were interested in was marketing to the masses.

Doc Harry:
In 20 years, DIR (or whatever you want to call it) could be mainstream. Nine out of every 10 c-cards could say "GUE" instead of "PADI."

That explicitly is not what JJ and GUE are trying to do.

DIR is a brilliant concept as it is applied to scuba. Simply brilliant, I think. But its marketing (or lack thereof) could use some improvement to help gain more widespread acceptance. A name change might be just one of the many possibilities in that direction.

I'd be up for a name change, but its not about marketing its about making all the stupid "i've been diving for 30 years and you're telling me I'm doing it wrong!" threads that come up over and over and over again go away. Its a distraction.

I know Im going to say something wrong here but...Im not DIR and probobly never will be but I bought a book "Doing It Right, The Fundamentals of Better Diving" and it was great. The gear configurations made alot more sense to me then the crap I have now. If someone would have at least mentioned DIR to me in the beginning I could have saved alot of money on gear that I now want to change.

pants!:
This would be a valid complaint if what they were interested in was marketing to the masses.
really a complaint, but statement of fact.

GUE has a wonderful 'system' or philosophy of diving that is outstanding, and would without doubt, benefit the entire scuba diving community if more widely available. Or if DIR could somehow be separated from all of the controversy and notoriety it's gained.

Obviously, GUE is not interested in marketing this system to the masses. It seems a shame because this is a far superior way to dive than what's being taught in OW classes now.

As I understand it, DIR was only intended as a way to train a pool of divers for the WKPP. Then it moved to a "road show" of sorts and was taught as a seminar. Now it has 'evolved' into a certification level training program. But no doubt you know this already.

Doc Harry:
There is an very interesting comparison I'd like to make regarding DIR and naval aviation. No, really.

Back in the early days of the jet aircraft, pilots were instructed much as scuba is taught today. Your experience depends mostly on who teaches you. You learn your habits primarily from what you instructor teaches - or doesn't teach. And everyone's experiences are vastly different.

The accident and death rate - especially around the aircraft carrier - was extremely high. It was safer to be in combat than to fly aboard an aircraft carrier.

Then the navy introduced standardization. Specifically, NATOPS - Naval Air Training and Operating Procedure Standardization. Everyone learned to handle engire fires the same way - using the same procedure - a procedure that was born of experience and mistakes and death. You didn't learn "Bubba's way" anymore. Equipment, procedures, communication, everything - was standardized. Didn't matter if you were just flying around the block on a sunny day, or doing a "night fright" terrain-following combat mission. Everything was standardized. And if you don't play by the rules then you lose your wings and you go fly Bubba's way.

The accident and death rate dropped precipitously. And the mishap rate has thankfully remained low.

Obviously there are thousands of Air Force, Army and civilian pilots who fly thousands of hours without NATOPS. So it's obviously not for everyone, but it's one way and IT WORKS and it SAVES LIVES in dangerous and demanding environments.

I think there is an obvious similarity to the DIR philosophy. It's good, it works. I think it should be taught from the very beginning, like a GUE BOW as an alternative to PADI BOW.

But they should be brave enough to change the name to lose the controversy. And lose the attitude while they're at it.

I was following the whole example between Naval Aviation and GUE right up until the loose the attitude part...I don't know a Naval Aviator that doesn't have an attitude.

ScubaTwo:
I know Im going to say something wrong here but...Im not DIR and probobly never will be but I bought a book "Doing It Right, The Fundamentals of Better Diving" and it was great. The gear configurations made alot more sense to me then the crap I have now. If someone would have at least mentioned DIR to me in the beginning I could have saved alot of money on gear that I now want to change.
I agree, I did the same thing. In fact a PADI instructor talked me out of taking DIR a couple of years ago. Too bad I listend to him then.

But I took the fundies class and am glad I did. Next spring I intend on changing my provisional to a full pass.

onfloat:
I was following the whole example between Naval Aviation and GUE right up until the loose the attitude part...I don't know a Naval Aviator that doesn't have an attitude.
you think they're bad.. you've obviously never met a Marine pilot. :)

onfloat:
It's all Naval aviation, the Marines are just the men's department.:D

Right...I think landing a jet on a floating ship sets the men from the boys. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom