"Doing SCUBA Right" by Fred Calhoun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Green_Manelishi

Contributor
Reaction score
Have any of you read the book? Comments?
I am looking for something unique to read and
thought that might be a good selection.

Green_Manelishi:
Have any of you read the book? Comments?
I am looking for something unique to read and
thought that might be a good selection.

I took DSR/F last weekend. Fred himself was my instructor.

Rocked my world. I've got my perfect vertical trim back, gone back to my AL80 and Aqualung 70# lift Jacket BC.

I couldn't be more pleased.

Can we get a DSR forum, please?

---
Ken

ahahah :D

Mo2vation:
I took DSR/F last weekend. Fred himself was my instructor.

Rocked my world. I've got my perfect vertical trim back, gone back to my AL80 and Aqualung 70# lift Jacket BC.

---
Ken

Not too likely, unless you were on Fred's boat Easy Diver out of Gloucester, MA--and I would have noticed you, as I was on it. :wink:

Fred is a character and a disciple of the school of self-reliance, and a survivor of the days when DIR meant DIY. There is a lot of stuff in the book you'll disagree with, but a lot you'll like to know, and a lot to make you think. He's a healthy antidote to all the negative things about PADI and SSI that get posted here regularly.

Joe

joeabroad:
Not too likely, unless you were on Fred's boat Easy Diver out of Gloucester, MA--and I would have noticed you, as I was on it. :wink:

Fred is a character and a disciple of the school of self-reliance, and a survivor of the days when DIR meant DIY. There is a lot of stuff in the book you'll disagree with, but a lot you'll like to know, and a lot to make you think. He's a healthy antidote to all the negative things about PADI and SSI that get posted here regularly.

Joe

I've heard him speak and he is a "character". I've been looking for a dive-related book that is not simply rehashing the same old lines. The book sounds intriguing from a "have you ever considered ..." perspective.

So, you would recommend it?

Green_Manelishi:
So, you would recommend it?

Sure. Look, it's a small book of tips, unorthodox but sound. A little unorthodoxy is always a good thing, it seems to me.

joeabroad:
Sure. Look, it's a small book of tips, unorthodox but sound. A little unorthodoxy is always a good thing, it seems to me.

Sounds like a fun read. Thanks.

Fred also authored PDIC's Open Water, Nitrox and Intro to Technical Diving Manuals.

Everyone is entitled to Freds opionion. Just ask fred. If you're not doing the way it was done 40 years ago you're doing it wrong.

"Everyone is entitled to Freds opionion. Just ask fred. If you're not doing the way it was done 40 years ago you're doing it wrong."

I see people making such statements who have no idea of what they are saying. You would be surprised if you ever actually opened your minds and tried something different from what you leanred in your ten minute PadI class.

There is no reason for you to believe that perfect "vertical" trim is something new and that the only way to achieve that is with a BP/wing. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom