Dolphin slaughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've personally seen a lot of nasty stuff done to marine life in my time, but watching that video was the most horrible thing yet. I had to put a hand over my mouth, and nearly turned it off twice. Those dolphins are butchered ALIVE.

If I could get away showing this video to my students, I might do it. This needs to get mainstreamed into the public eye. I'm surprised it isn't already... either its very new, or its being suppressed. I'd like to know the date on that video.

For those interested this video was taken last year.... Here is a web link that you can go to see who is fighting this wantan slaughter of our sea friends;

http://www.seashepherd.org/index.html

go to the captains log to review the information

travelem:

Movie and pictures are real....18 November 2003, the wife of one of the video photographers was arrested for swimming out and releasing a net that contained 15 dolphins scheduled for their slaughter the next day..... I wonder if the Japanese still slaughter whales in the name of science?

DMP:
For those interested this video was taken last year.... Here is a web link that you can go to see who is fighting this wantan slaughter of our sea friends;

http://www.seashepherd.org/index.html
Uh oh. Sea Shepherd. That may explain some things. This organization is viewed with mixed feelings by a lot of environmental folks, as their methods are highly aggressive and even outright dangerous. They're the most famous Greenpeace splinter group. I've watched some TV specials about that boat, or one of them anyway. Either you love 'em or you hate 'em, generally. I straddle the fence, ow!

Nevertheless, I'd put any personal opinions regarding the "messenger" aside and accept the horrible nasty video for what it is, horrible and nasty. If anyone feels comfortable disseminating this video, please do so. Mass opinion is one of the most effective ways to lever political activity.

As for "scientific whaling", that's alive and well. Japan has long been the chief bogey-man in exploiting a technical loophole in the international whaling treaties, which allows limited harvest of whales for research purposes. However Japan's "research" amounts to a small commercial fishery for minke whales... a couple hundred a year I believe, plus a not-inconsiderable quantity of other species. It's been complained about for years by most other signatory nations, but no one wants to risk pushing too hard for fear Japan and a couple other nations (Iceland) would back out of the treaty altogether and go on a whaling spree. Fortunately, minke whales are fairly small and much more common than other rorquals. Their populations can tolerate some fishing activity, provided its tightly controlled. As for the humane aspects of harvesting... well that's another kettle of fish.

I agree, the news of something like this has to be done by somebody. I do not care who they represent or what, but a massacre like this needs to be seen by everyone. I cringed at the site of what was happening, almost lost my dinner to be truthful. I apologize but it hit close to home seeing it.

Why aren't these practises reported???

It is more then likely real.
Back in the late 80's there awas a big article on this in national geographics. As in this video the culprits were Japanese fishermen. They hearded dolphins into shore and killed them becuasae they felt the dolphins were in competition with them for the fish in the area. In the NG article the aerial photos showed a blood slick miles wide from the carnage.

I wish I still had all the old NG's I had growing up becuase I had that issue.

sickening

Theya re allowed under world treaties that allow dolphins and other marine mammals to be taken for scientific research. The process of killing varies from country to country. Japanese culture views the meat as a delicacy. Has anyone ever seen the slaughter of cows (beef), chicken, or pigs(ham products). It's just not common in our society to see marine creatures, like the cute and loveable dolphin butchered. A few years ago dateline produced a video of a slaughter house. the same practices are used in the USA, and other "civilized""up for arguement" countries, as a means of killing animals. Stun guns, cattle prods, to the skull, a small caliber bullet to the brain. or just slit the throat. It's used in all meat slaughter houses. Were is greenpeace, and other splinter groups taking photos in the usa. Chalk it up to cultural differences. Even if it is wrong, and disgusting. Veggies or Vegan anyone......????? Anyone seen "super size me"... lol.. just another avenue of discussion for american society...

Meat animals are slaughtered humanely.

GOtta agree with Sue. Cattle are herded into the slaughterhouse and killed with a single shot to the head and then butchered. Plus domestic cattle are pretty damn dumb. Chances are they don't realize what is going on until its too late.

Dolphins on the other hand are smart enough to realize that they are in deep $hit once they get confined into such a small area and they see the others being gaffed. Not to mention being dragged out of the water by their tails, thrown into the bed of a truck, dumped on a concrete floor to flop around for awhile, and then having their throats slit.

Quite a bit more drawn out than the average slaughterhouse.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom