Dolphins are man's freind and we should protect them

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The dolphins kept at the San Diego Naval base are fed fairley well. They eat restaraunt quality,Caplin, Sardines,etc. They are, however; housed in small holding pens. Not as small as Sea World and other "Theme Park" organizations in their captive Whale and Dolphin programs, buy small none the less.

Dolphins pattern train easily but in open water are easily distracted. Fluctuating water temps, and transport are extremely stressful on them. Anytime we introduce a marine mammal to a demographic area that is not native to them or in these dolphins cases, a differant pod we run the risk of upsetting the social structure of the animals not to mention the potential risk for all involved.i.e., disease, aggression, etc.

When food is used as a reward in training animals it can produce quick desired responses. If you are training for consistancy you also use isolation then attention and a whistle to get the correct response from the animal.

We as humans have selectivly bred and genetically altered our canine and equine counter parts for centuries. While this is not always right I don't feel it's the same as stealing Marine Mammals from our oceans.

Here in Sarasota Bay we have been lucky to have the longest running study of wild Dolphins anywhere in the world. At present it is 5 generations.Our dolphins are tracked through audio, visual, and telemetry devices that help the biologists understand their delicate social structure as well as life cycles.

I don't feel it is right to take any of our Marine Mammals and use them in war. It's not that a Sea Lion or Dolphin has more value than humans, dogs, cats or horses. We just have so much to learn.

My son and dive partner is currently serving with the Marines in Iraq. It is really bad over there. He will tell you that it is awful but this is the job, for now, he chose. We have had some basic discussion over the roles everyone has played a part in. I know he would not wan't Dolphins or Sea Lions involved with their mission!!

By the way how many of us that have ever dove the kelp beds in Calif. would be comfortable with a Sea Lion swimming over and grabbing your ankle just because they can. They do go A.W.O.L. from time to time!! just food for thought!!!!

If anyone is interested in the wild dolphin study just go to Mote.org.for more info.

Also, to learn some real behind the scenes info. on our captive Whale and Dolphin populations go to captivitystinks.com

Pilot Fish, this is really nothing more than an attempt to bring a very heated and charged discussion into another forum after it has been closed on the original forum. Let it go already. If it didnt include the post title I might have accepted you just wanted to share something new and interesting in the wrong forum....

I'm with H2ODoc on this one...

Although if your diving that close to a Navy Base, what are you doing there in the first place?!?! :shakehead

You know, I see threads like this pop up on every message board, so and so animal is being used to do XYZ.. OMG!?!? We (humans) suck, and on and on and on...

My thought: We (humans) have been using animals to do our bidding for thousands upon thousands of years, from the time that humans first domesticated the dog and horse, we've used animals to feed us, cloth us, work for and with us, in all things, from farming to war.

At least the people running the program had the good sense to train them to drop a beacon, rather than attaching posion darts, mini torpedo's, or frick'n laser beams to thier heads!

As your average guy trying to pay his taxes this season, I have to wonder how much $$$ was spent on this program, and how effective it really is? I mean, how many terrorist SCUBA divers are out there anyway? I'm not saying that it could not happen, but so far they've used jet liner's (9/11) and boats (remember the Cole !) and cars (IED's etc).

Well that's my .50 cent's worth anyway, I'll shut up now and :popcorn:

Twiddles:
Pilot Fish, this is really nothing more than an attempt to bring a very heated and charged discussion into another forum after it has been closed on the original forum. Let it go already. If it didnt include the post title I might have accepted you just wanted to share something new and interesting in the wrong forum....

I agree.
We all love dolphins, however, most of us could stomach seeing a dolphin (other than a navy diver) blown up detecting or removing a mine.

Dave

Cant see the issue here. No different to people training guard dogs and so on.

It takes the planets most paranoid nation to implement the idea but i cant see how this differs from training guard dogs, rescue dogs,bomb dogs and so on. This story is a non-issue. Im sure dolphin trials have been done for decades.

I love how people always attribute human characteristics to animals. Animals are motivated by much simpler things. Their agendas include eating and procreation. To your dog you are part of the pack, hopefully you are the alpha otherwise you are in big trouble. Why do we like dolphins more than sharks? Well mostly because dolphins don't eat people (although I have heard that a few people have been hurt because they got in the water with wild dolphins thinking that were cute and cuddly "Flipper") and jaws ate Timmy and did not rescue him from the well (oh wait that was Lassie :D) Even though we all want to think our animals "Love Us". It's just not true.......

jhbryaniv:
Yeah ok you believe that and I will believe what I believe. . . enjoy fantasy land BTW. . . say hi to my EX-Girlfriend while your there. . .

Your Ex said you must believe and come to Narnia.

H2ODoc:
I don't know about all of you, but this is the scariest part of that article to me:

Sea lions can carry in their mouths special cuffs attached to long ropes. If the animal finds a rogue swimmer, it can clamp the cuff around the person's leg. The individual can then be reeled in for questioning.

Can you imagine... taking some pics of a star fish... floating along.... all of a sudden... CLAMP!!!!!. Holy S&$$t!!! What the *&(*(). I'm getting reeled in by a sea lion!!!!

That'd ruin your dive AND I'm guessing they don't do safety stops on the way up, those goofy sea lions!

Can you imagine what they could do to enemies that are trying to blow up shipping? See how useful they can be?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom