Domeboro Otic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adjuster-jd

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
On a recent visit to my doctor, he agreed to prescribe Domeboro Otic; however he was unable to find this drug in his drug book. He asked me to check with the pharmacy to see if a script is still required. The pharmacy told me it was; however when my doctor's office called in the script, the pharmacy is saying this drug is discontinued and not available.
I can't find Domeboro Otic in the PDR either.

Is this drug still available to pharmacies?

Thanks.

I just searched First National Databank for the word "domeboro" and got a blank.

Slick6:
I just searched First National Databank for the word "domeboro" and got a blank.

Try looking up "modified burrow's solution, otic"

Domboro Solution is/was made by Bayer...check their site.

The old Star Otic was similar but has changed...it was acetic acid and alcohol but now it looks like it is boric acid and alcohol.

You can "brew your own" ear solution by mixing 50% white vinegar with 50% isopropyl alcohol, 70%. The vinegar acidifies the ear canal and the alcohol dries it out. In Domboro Solution, aluminum acetate acidifies the canal.

It is important that when applying the drops, you put it in each ear for several minutes before dumping it out. Do it everytime your ears are exposed to water.

It is also possible to find modified burrow's solution in some pharmacies as a surgical dressing...I do not know if the concentration is the same as the "otic" version...you should look up the formulation first.

Laurence Stein, DDS

Bausch and Lomb makes a generic Otic Domeboro = 2% acetic acid in an aluminum acetate solution. Yes, it requires a prescription for unknown reasons - probably because the navy uses it and they can charge more for it.

It is absurd that it is a prescribed concoction because you can easily get both the acetic acid and the aluminum acetate components over the counter. You did not mention what your affliction is. It is normally used for external ear canal infections.

If you are looking for a preventative, the aluminum acetate component has no particular prophylactic value and you can get by with the already mentioned acetic acid (read: vinegar) and alcohol solution.

liberato:
It is absurd that it is a prescribed concoction because you can easily get both the acetic acid and the aluminum acetate components over the counter. You did not mention what your affliction is. It is normally used for external ear canal infections.

If you are looking for a preventative, the aluminum acetate component has no particilar prophylactic value and you can get by with the already mentioned acetic acid (read: vinegar) and alcohol solution.

I agree that the requirement for a prescription is bogus, but Otic Domeboro is the only prophylactic for external ear infection in diving that has been scientifically researched and found to be effective, when used as directed. IMHO, half white vinegar/half water is a close substitute. It's also important that you not put anything in your ear smaller than your elbow. Cleaning your ears with Q-tips is a no-no!

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=48

I use the generic solution - I talked my family doctor into a refillable prescription - in conjunction with Doc's ProPlugs and have been free of external ear infections for many years. It works.

It is the acidic environment that would be preventative. If there is nothing inflamed why take an anti-inflammatory? Just adds to the cost. If you already have it it is not going to hurt you, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom