Domestic airfare with scuba gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tboxcar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey everyone, been a while since I have flown domestically in PI with scuba gear, as usual a cheap promo airfare suddenly becomes 2 or 3 times more expensive with extra weight, can anyone clue me in on any deals or sports packages with some of the local airlines. I see Cebu Pacific has some sports gear promo not sure what it includes. Sorry if this was recently talked about, as I have not had time to a do a search.

Cebu Pacific do include dive equipment in the sports equpment category. I used them earlier this year, and had all my stuff (dive equip. & 'regular luggage') in one bag. No questions asked, no problems.....

we went to coron with about 16kg of equipment for check in and about 8kg of hand carry, no questions asked. didnt purchase the sports package.

The best deal for multiple flights is with Philippine Airlines who offer an annual Sports Plus package for a fixed price. This can be for domestic flights only, SE Asia flights or full international flights.

The only downside is PAL in Manila are pretty strict on carry-on bag size and weights! More details at Philippine Airlines | Special Baggage

Applications for the sports plus card need to be through the PAL Mabuhay Miles site/helpline - https://www.mabuhaymiles.com/home/home.jsp

For one off trip the best option would be Cebu Pacific 'Sports Equipment', although they usually insist the sports equipment allocation (15kg) is allocated to a single bag only and can not be spread across multiple bags. The standard bag allowance for the ticket can be spread across multiple bags, including the allocated sports equipment.

More details - Cebu Pacific Air - It's time everyone flies

Additional excess baggage for domestic flights isn't particularly expensive, by international standards anyway, usually the going rate is 100 Php per kilo

Flying with dive gears

July 2010 Went to bohol and hand carried my fins and reg. Got lots of the clothes for DOT Accreditation Training for Marine Macro Photography Dive Guides.

Aug 2010 Went to Sipandan and hand carried my reg, very few clothes with me this time. Wore Malapasua Tshirt for 3days, bragging them our Tresher shark. They all droolled.

Sept 2010 Will dive Sarangani and Davao and will surely hand carry clothes and check in all divegears w fragile sticker on it.

Carpe Diem
Violet

Earlier this year when I flew with Cebu Pacific from Manila to Coron & return I was allowed a 7kg hand luggage allowance plus I could also take a laptop bag and a small camera bag. I am returning again early next year & I have already booked my flights, but now when I look on the Cebu Pacific site I can't find any info regarding a laptop or camera bag - it just says one 7kg piece of hand luggage.
Can someone please check this out for me, I have tried to e-mail Cebu Pacific but I have never yet had a reply from them (didn't get any replies last year either).

I flew back in late July from MNL to BKK, did not register my luggage and did not do the sportmans' gig, I was in a hurry, cost me nearly US$200 in extra luggage, and they and had no mercy, they are a rather 'half ass' operation. Then flew Air Asia from BKK to KL and then to Kota Bharu, minimal charges and nice staff!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom