Dominica Ft Young or Castle Comfort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuubaadoo

Reaction score
I have the possibility of going to Dominica. Can anyone tell me anything about either one of these dive op's? thanks in advance

I'm pretty sure Ft. Young uses the dive op from Castle Comfort for their diving operation. I didn't stay at either but stayed at the Evergreen right next to Castle Comfort. Big difference between Ft. Young and Castle Comfort. Ft. Young is definitely the nicer, it's also right in town which makes it more convenient for walking to different restaurants for dinner. People seem to like Castle Comfort but is definitely a "divers hotel", nothing fancy and a little run down around the edges. Ft. Young is more modern. At Ft. Young both the regular restuarant (expensive) and the bar resaturant (reasonable) were very good. The food at Catle Comfort was okay but not great. Though we did like the outside palapa bar for drinks before dinner.

When we stayed at the Evergreen a couple years ago there was a niteclub operation a few blocks away (Cocunuts I believe). Two times during the week they played booming music till 5 AM in the morning. It was hard to sleep. If they are still there there is no way I'd stay at Castle Comfort or Evergreen. If we head back to Dominica we'd probably stay at Ft. Young. But we'd also probably make the 20 minute drive each day down to Nature Island Dive and use them as the dive op. Much smaller groups than with Dive Dominica. Most people seem to like Dive Dominica, it's just a preference thing with me, I'll take small group diving over larger groups any day. When we were there we did one day (2 dives) with Dive Dominica (13 divers) and 5 days (11 dives) with Nature Island Dive (averaging 3 divers per dive), with 2 of the days it being just my wife and I, sort of like private diving with a DM.

I thought the Ft. Young was a great place to stay. Quiet, good food, great view, walking distance to lots of good food and the market with fresh fruits and such at the end of town. The local pineapples and banana's are amazing.The dive op for the Ft. Young does service other hotels and the boats looked rather packed. I chose Nature Island Dive down in Soufriere and they were small and great. You need a car or taxi to get there each day though. To me it was well worth it having the rental car. Don't be afraid to try the tiny little eateries in Soufriere for your surface interval food. Such a beautiful island with really nice diving. Have fun!

We did Castle Comfort a couple years ago------ABSOLUTELY GREAT DIVING-----even their shore diving is very good, ie lots of Flying Gunards .....see some of my pics from there---all Dominica sub-albums have Dominica in their names........

Pictures by GEAUXtiger - Photobucket

taken on a shore dive........:

flyinggurnard.jpg

i'm not sure when you're looking at traveling there but i'll be staying at Ft. Young next week... i can give you a review when i get back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom