Dominican Republic - Punta Cana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

countryboy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I will be traveling to Punta Cana in February. I would like to hear recommendations good and bad for dive ops / sites in the area.

Any other local information would be appreciated as well.

Thank-You in advance!

BTW - Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!

the best place to dive in dminican republic is bayahibe...

but from punta cana every dive's center organise excursion every day

you can go dive to catalina island (wonderfull wall and aquarium place)

or to catalinita island (shark point)

or to st georges (cargo wreck)

or to saona (ask to can dive the pier)

for punta cana it's 3 good place to dive, the amstrow wreck, christina's reef, monica's wreck...

or the cave & cavern diving...but it's an other think

Ditto to what MIB said. Diving around Punta Cana is fair at best. But then again, it'll get you wet and breathing off a reg if that's what you want. For decent stuff, definitely sign up for one of the trips to Bayahibe - they're worth the $$ and the ride. I dove with Scuba Caribe 2 years ago and they were fine - not spectacular compared to others I've dived with since, but not bad, either. I was a total newbie at the time, so I didn't have much to compare them to.

The beaches at Punta Cana, however, are spectacular - definitely enjoy some time relaxing there and playing the the water...and our hotel offered massages on the beach for really cheap prices ($25?). Sheer heaven!

Thanks for the info.. Yes, I had searched and read some of the other threads but I was looking for "new" information. Maybe I should have stated that .. Oh well.

Essentially, I am happy just diving.. My wife is a WWW so she dives only when we travel (for now..). Wrecks always intrigue me, but a good reef is just as fun.

I do plan on diving the St George, but that is 2 hours from where we are staying.. I have contacted 2 ops via e-mail.. and gathering more..

Are there recommendations for any specific Ops?

This will be 7 night 8 day trip.. with at least 4 days reserved for diving.. we will have plenty of time to enjoy the other activities. I am also looking to take my wife for a horse ride on the beach..

Thanks again, keep the suggestions flowing.

I'm heading to Punta Cana in about a week, so I'll let you know how things go. We're planning on diving with Scuba Caribe because Dressel Divers said our hotel was too far away from their shop.

djsmokyc:
I'm heading to Punta Cana in about a week, so I'll let you know how things go. We're planning on diving with Scuba Caribe because Dressel Divers said our hotel was too far away from their shop.

Great!

Let me know how you make out...

enjoy your stay and enjoy your dives, dominican republic is a very nice country, and the dominicans are wonderfull....

My wife and I were just down there in August. We went through a dive shop called Scubafun http://www.scubafun.info/index.htm. They run a small operation out of Bayahibe. You store your gear onsite and they pick you up at your hotel each morning you want to dive. Most of the trips only had 6 people plus the divemaster/guide. I would have no problems diving with them on a return visit.

The only complaint with their operation was during a drift dive the boat captain/driver did not follow the dive flag on the surface. When the group surfaced the boat was barely visible in the distance. Rather rude awakening for a newbie diver.

One of the side trips was to Saona Island for an interval between dives. This is a popular place for all the dive operations to take their groups to for an extended interval between dives. They serve a full buffet and drinks on the island. I would pass on buffet, I think this is what laid me out for several weeks with a virus.

If you are thinking about this operation let me know and I can give you some more insight.

PFF, Thanks for the info. I sent them an e-mail.. let's see what happens.

Each place I requested info from, one of the questions I asked was..
What are the customary gratuities for DM’s / support staff?

Not one of them answered this question... Anyone have any input on gratuities?

Thanks to all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom