Donggala & Marantale Trip, End of July 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wisnu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Typically in Indonesia, nice white sandy beach does not mix with good house reef - but Prince John Dive resort, the only dive resort in Tanjung Karang beach, Donggala, central sulawesi is an exception. The house reef strech over 500 m beautiful white sand beach has (mostly) healthy reef house of many interesting critters including tinny blue ring octopus we saw during our pleasant and long night dives. The house reef is also excelent for snorkeling, Please note, Tanjung Karang is public beach, 1 hour drive from Palu, the capital city of Central Sulawesi, can be very crowded with locals during weekend.

Tanjung_Karang_2.jpg

The resort certainly is far from Four Season, it has shown aging time, require some serous renovations and upgrade - but we enjoy our time there as we can manage our expectation. Seem lot of improvement with their new manager - Alex did his best to accomodate all our request despite the resort was quite full; we have our own private guide.

The house reef offer very good diving but not spectacular, no big fish. We visited south atol and posi kawe, still in Donggala bay, within one hour from the resort with their large wooden boat. At both sites, at least 3 white tips welcame us and patrol around us in a distance - but very shy, no way to approach them.

We also visited their new dive site, Marantale at Tomini bay, 3 hours by car. Simply amazing visibility - the best viz we experienced so far, very blue water and very healthy coral - however this place is not for bigfish lovers.

Practicaly, during our dives I have no chances to use camera underwater, my older daughter took over my EPL-1 with panny 7-14mm and her sister enjoyed her new XZ-1 plus dual macro lens. Not bad idea, I just enjoy my diving ang watching my kids; and sometime became a model for them.

For more detail trip, please check my daughter blog Donggala - Mayang Purwanto
Her younger sister still busy with her tennis camp after we return back to Jakarta, she has not updated her blog yet. Anyway, here are few of her shot with XZ-1.

emperor_shrimp2.jpg Emperor_shrimp_on_bullocki.jpg Emperor_shrimp_on_bullocki_2.jpg

Nemo3.jpg Squat_lobster_Laurea_siagiani.jpg Nudi_51.jpg

Attachments

• Tanjung_Karang_2.jpg
    Tanjung_Karang_2.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 399
I always enjoy looking at your daughters' photos, Wisnu. I expect that by the time they're young adults, they'll be publishing them professionally, if that is their wish!

Ditto the young girls shots are very impressive, and they are so lucky to dive all the best spots with you Wisnu. What a beautiful white beach resort! And the water looks quite clear. Which airport did you arrive from and how far is Dongalla from it?

Thanks all for kind words .. indeed i encourage them to write our trip, several articles has been publihed in local newspaper and they earning small money too.
The young one has just finished updating her Blog for this trip .. Melati luv Diving: Palu, Sulawesi, Indonesia 2011

Gee
PJR is less than 1 hour from Palu airport. At least there's 5 flights daily to Palu from Jakarta, Surabaya via Ujung Pandang or Balikpapan.
Nice place for relax diving/snorkeling trip, but do not compare the diving with with Raja ampat or Komodo.

just notice. PJR name the dive site after my daughters name - Maymel. So, next time you visit marantale, ask for maymel site.
Here is short footage video she took

[video=vimeo;29965696]http://vimeo.com/29965696[/video]

Back
Top Bottom