Don't Book The MV Fathima In The Maldives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

escapedia

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
In october this year I went on a liveaboard trip in the Maldives.
Apart from the bad weather and bad sea conditions the boat was bad, so do yourselves a favour and please don't book the Fathima.
You can read why in my site and also read the diving report.
Thanks.

The Fathima liveabaord, Maldives, October 2007

This was a trip in 2002, and you post this now?

IMO it would make a lot of sense to check up on the boat before booking (as I presume most people would do anyway), because things can have changed quite a bit since then.

But coming with a trip report 5 years! after the trip, makes me wonder if there is not more behind this.

I think the 2002 was a typo... but half of what he described applies to many boats down there. It does sound like there is something more to it.

I'm sorry about the typo, it is 2007 and not 2002.
There is nothing more to it...
I did check on the boat with my local agent who made a query with the local agent in the Maldives, and I was told it is a good boat. Unfortunately it wasn't. I don't think that showering with hot water is being over spoiled. For many it's a necessity. The staff was bad and the service was mediocre.. Again, as I wrote in my web site, it's not only my opinion, every one in the group had the same complaints.
And as for "but half of what he described applies to many boats down there" it is not true. Take boats like "happy days" or "manthiri" and you'll see the difference.
There is no any "hidden motive" in my post, just for people to read and consider whether they want to book it or not.
I think that people who are paying so much money for a diving vacation should get what they are paying for. I've been on several diving boats, I know what to expect in terms of service, operation and facilities.

"Bad news" for the owner of the boat: give a good service and you'll be praised over the internet, but if you are over charging for a boat and you're not reliable (like when I had a personal contact with him regarding the 15L tanks and when I was on the boat he denied it), people would know that..

To the OP

The dive base operator for this vessel is Norbert Schmidt. I have known him for many years and can only describe him as a highly competent gentleman. You have to remember that the Maldives are a long flight from anywhere and have no natural resources of their own except their natural beauty.

Your harsh statements smelled of a wharf at low tide in the summertime so we went to the source himself. Always keeping in mind that there are two sides to every story.

Here is his reply:

Tommy

I know this article. He and two single English ladies had teamed up and decided to create troubles.

The ladies got mad because they had to share one cabin, though an other cabin was available. They knew before through the operator they had to decide between sharing or upgrading to single.

The guy himself is only correct of complaining not to have got a 15l cylinder which he had requested for (we could not manage to arrange one).

Ladies and gent complained of unclean bathroom, which was not true. In one (the ladies one) the paint had come off in area of about 50cm. the boat had been redone in August-and small things happen simply on a boat.

Thats all. From the other clients (3/4 of the clients) we got positive response. Such comments happen from time, especially in a bad-weather cruise. Read it in detail- what is finally left? (not enough oxygen??)

We we have in fact very little complaints, but one thing is clear, we do not have the standards which you might be used from an American liveaboard. In spite of all improvements since the early Bathala-times we are still in Maldives.

We are working smooth and quite succefully. From time to time you cannot avoid dirty comments.

Dont worry, but be a bit flexible.
Greetings, Norbert

I know this article. He and two single English ladies had teamed up and decided to create troubles....

From time to time you cannot avoid dirty comments.

No one has teamed up to create troubles, it's not a conspiracy.
It's only clients complaining. You might think wrongly, but I think quite rightfuly.
The funny (or rather sad) thing is that I've made contact with people who were on Fathima prior to the trip and their's review was quite the same. I refered what they told to my travel agent (who refered it to her agents in the Maldives) and the whole chain of agents said it was rubbish..
Well, in reality it was true. That's my opinion and others' that were with me on this trip (people whom I've never met before). Obviously every thing in our world has two sides, I wrote my side as a client. At any time didn't I expect for the operators to hold my view.

I was on this boat and I will still stick with this boat with its 3 stars price and 5 stars service. It is simply not a luxury boat but it was highly comfortable with excellent service, I have seen much worse and there are a few. I have to say that the boat has no problem and the dive guide is very professional. Sometimes people don't know what is all about a travel, some paid 2 stars and expect 5 stars; some can be a gentleman and some can be nuts. I have seen much much worse situation and it made me laugh that a piece of 50cm paint came off in the toilet could be claimed as uncleaned toilet? This also happened to Undersea Hunter at Cocos. And you can't blame anyone for bad weather and bad diving condition, simply that you didn't make a good work on the research before you book your trip to dive at its best season my friend!

Hi , I happen to be an dive operator and know Nobert and his operation at Fathima very well. He runs a successful operation on liveaboard and has lots of loyal customers repeating for his operation. on our operation we can come across different personalities of people as well. and come across people who are not pleased with the effort we put for them. And I can see this one wasn't happy, however point is majority of the clients onboard in this tour had no complains or what so ever.
I think this report is firstly out of date 2007? this is 2009 we in Maldives boat operators Dock our boats every year. Does all necessary maintenance spend lots of money . I can tell you from 2007 to today it will be lot of difference . And the way operated at this competitive market as well. So this report is not valid to the present competitive market and the operation of the boat.

Hi,
For me that experience is "water under the bridge", however, I'll make a note on my report that the boat was renovated and it runs under new management.
I'll be more than happy to be invited to dive again with the Fathima and write a new report. Again, that was my review of the boat at that time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom