"Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've lost till it's gone. . ."

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After Bryan's passing, I've been wishing I'd taken the opportunity to purchase a Kraken double-hose. I appreciate it is a substantial heavy-lift to pick up the manufacturing process. Does anyone have any information on if/when the Kraken will be available?

I am not at liberty to discuss future possibilities. And I am not in the loop anymore anyways. However, Bryan had the drive to cause to happen something very few individuals could have accomplished. Bring to market a new DH regulator at reasonable price and fully made in the USA (minor bits aside). The costs of doing so, well, I doubt he barely broke even if at all. To resurrect the molds and bring it all back into order, entropy being the natural course of such things after a passing, I would not hold my breath.

I have three Krakens, one is the Determined Dozen with my initials, another is the early Crowd Funding and then I have a Series II. So it is unlikely that I would sell any of them. But there are folks who time to time sell them. Due to age and several issues, I no longer dive DH regulators except for demo purposes.

After Bryan's passing, I've been wishing I'd taken the opportunity to purchase a Kraken double-hose. I appreciate it is a substantial heavy-lift to pick up the manufacturing process. Does anyone have any information on if/when the Kraken will be available?

I put in for notifications from ebay for when Krakens come up for auction. I think only one or two came up in 2 years.
As Nemrod mentioned, I can't imagine anyone would be willing to put in the work to bring the Argonaut or the Phoenix back at an affordable price. You might try posting a "wanted" ad here and on:
Buy, Sell, Trade (Vintage Gear Only, Please) | Vintage Scuba Diving Community Forum

There are some somewhat klutzy workarounds to outfit Aquamasters for HP and LP ports using Banjo fittings and adapters for the hookah port.
Good luck.

Go purist!

330 022a.jpg

ABLJ buoyancy

361 045a.jpg

HP outlet Dacor valve

363 038a.jpg

havin a blast

Screenshot 79 (67).png

from the past

Screenshot 80 (84)2.png

No excuses no stories

Pony commercial solo

I started with DH (Voit) long ago, had a few Phoenix and two Kraken, I enjoy diving to much to spend that much time messing with a DH anymore.

The biggest negative for me is the bulk and weight of my Phoenix and the extra care iit needs after a trip. I use the VDH plate you graciously gave me for both single and DH diving, so that’s not an issue. I have made peace with the peculiar breathing characteristics. I like the remote discharge of bubbles. With a little fast talking I’ve never been turned down by a boat operator and everyone seems to get a kick out of seeing the old guy with the old regular.

I pulled the trigger last night on the DH setup from craigslist. A Phoenix first with an HDR second, built into a Conshelf body (I hope I got that right :oops:) the seller took the ad down and I didn't capture any pictures from the ad, but I'll post some as soon as I receive the regulator.

Maybe I should try and find a "Mike Nelson" mask and a BFK to strap to my leg :eek:

This should be a fun experience

The biggest negative for me is the bulk and weight of my Phoenix and the extra care iit needs after a trip. I use the VDH plate you graciously gave me for both single and DH diving, so that’s not an issue. I have made peace with the peculiar breathing characteristics. I like the remote discharge of bubbles. With a little fast talking I’ve never been turned down by a boat operator and everyone seems to get a kick out of seeing the old guy with the old regular.
It is a very handy backplate. Once you get used to the breathing characteristics it’s not an issue, for me the hose hassle just took to much of my time, not that I have a lot else I need to do on a given day but lazy won out.

A Phoenix first with an HDR second, built into a Conshelf body (I hope I got that right :oops:)
I do not think you got that quite right but hopefully you are getting what you actually want. The second stage is HPR, if so equipped, not HDR. The innards of the Phoenix/Kraken and really just about every AL first stage are the bits from the Conshelf which really evolved from the Royal Master and Royal Aqua Master.

Fingers crossed that you will get a good regulator to work with for your foray into DH regulators. I will just go ahead and say it now, however low you think you already wear your tank, it needs to be lower. When you get it lower, lower it some more. The center of the tank valve needs to be no higher than the mid point between your shoulders. Basically, if you can reach back and touch the regulator at any point, the tank is too high and must be lowered to work correctly. And technical bent doubles plates will not work at all and neither will most BCs. And this is because they force the tank too high above your shoulder midpoint and too far away from your back.

Now you need a DSV.

Well, I am a master of leading threads astray :acclaim:, but, you have been told to lower your tank now officially :wink:. And while going off into the weeds, get a good octopus regulator (Core/Titan/Helix/G250 etc) for both air sharing with your buddy and just in case while in the learning curve for DH. Use a hose of 36 inches to 48 inches under your shoulder. Do not use a 60 inches or 72 inches hose wrapped as it will be under your DH loop requiring you to remove the DH mouthpiece to donate your octopus second stage.

Thanks! I have a 'spare' HOG Zenith I was planning on using, plus I always dive with a slung pony bottle. I thought some pool time would be a good idea before I jump into the local waters in my drysuit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom