Don't know about basic or not ... lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hello all ... i need some REAL feedback ...
i am looking to upgrade lights.

halcyons just seem over priced

please share thoughts and opinions ...
thanks

I know that most of the fat-walleted tec divers can't stand my posts about this light cuz its not a canister, and they already spent the multiple thousands already, but you (anyone) should at least look into the Darkbuster 24 watt HID for about a quarter of the cost of the nearest light of equivalent output.

1750 Lumens. What part of that brightness puts it out of primary league?

See it here: Edge Brightstar HID Underwater Dive Light reviews and discounts, Edge Lighting

I spent about an hour adding a goodman handle on it, so its got nearly the versatility of a canister light, while I saved over a grand compared to 21Watt can lights.

Very durable after about thirty dives so far in ten foot vis water. Lithium ion rechargeable giving a good two hour + burn time.

I got a leak when i forgot to insert the charging port cover and hosed all the gear off - light wouldn't ignite, so I found that the power lines were fused, so I replaced the blown fuse for three bucks and it works like a dream. Very nice feature for floods.

Last edited:
Do you really think that's the issue? More to the point, do you really think that technical divers wouldn't prefer to save $1k+ if there was a cheaper alternative that worked as wel or nearly as well?

Really?

I know that most of the fat-walleted tec divers can't stand my posts about this light cuz its not a canister, and they already spent the multiple thousands already

Do you really think that's the issue? More to the point, do you really think that technical divers wouldn't prefer to save $1k+ if there was a cheaper alternative that worked as wel or nearly as well?

Really?

I shouldn't have said "most technical divers" but a few pretty negative comments about the darkbuster from those who haven't used one made me exaggerate a bit. Issues were that it is not a canister, and my goodman handle idea doesn't take away its bulkiness (not really true - although nearly neutral UW, you don't notice it much on the back of your hand).

I'm not into promoting my opinions much (notice low post count) but I truly want to share a good find with others, since brightness is important to my low vis dives, and I'm sure others will want as many lumens for the buck that they can get. If this light were 900 bucks, I wouldn't be quite so enthusiastic.

I suppose that the Darkbuster is not yet an established name in lights, so people are naturally wary.

I suppose that the Darkbuster is not yet an established name in lights, so people are naturally wary.

To me, it's an issue of use.

As a technical diver, I do a number of underwater tasks with my left hand.

1. Run the reel
2. Adjust my buoyancy
3. Check my SPG
4. Adjust my stage/deco tanks

For those functions, I really need dexterity, and even though the darkbuster may be neutral, it's very large. And we try to have as little as possible on our hands. Trying to reach back and unclip the SPG with 2-3 bottles on is hard enough. Put a lantern on your hand and it's impossible. This is why canisters that take the bulk of the battery off the hand, are as popular as they are.

For someone doing non-technical dives, who just wants a darn bright light, I can see this light maybe working out ok. But the entire premise is wrong for technical diving which is perhaps why you are not seeing many technical divers embracing it.

The dexterity is certainly the primary issue, which may be an issue for some, and not quite for others.

Literally the $1000.00 question - give up some dexterity and save, or go canister. I'll sing my light for rec diving but not tec.

Thanks for your insights.

i really really appreciate both of your comments ... but saving $1000 to give up dexterity when i had a sudden emergency reason to fly over to a sling and cant access it isnt worth the money ... (maybe a hose got cut or soemthing)

your points are valid, but if i am slinging an 80, 40 and 30 ??? cannister is a streamlining space saver ... sorry buddy ... carrying around a darkbuster would be like using a jersey upline ... why?

I just switched from a dr 10w to the salvo 35w and all I can say is WOW. The light it totally amazing. The perfect light for our terrible viz on the west coast. From everything I have read, I don't think you can go wrong with a salvo.
Ron L.

Has Dive Rite moved to the Brightstar bulb or are the HID lights still fitted with the Welch Allyn bulbs?

It's also curious that you guys are getting nearly twice the lumens from that light, than most other are getting. Next time I'm in cave country, I am going to see how these lights compare to mine and others.

Why the choice to go with a PVC housing instead of the more common (and tougher) Delrin canisters?

Hi PerroneFord,

Thanks for your questions. The HID 1000 does indeed use a Welch Allyn bulb. The bulb/ballast combination is what gives the light the extra lumens. The bulb represents the new Sōlarc NGX HID technology - you can find out more about it here.

The shape and construction of the canister made of poly vinyl chloride (PVC) is indestructible even under extreme pressures and it has a proven track record, we have experienced no problems with these canisters in the past. DR goes the extra step and orders black PVC especially to make the canisters. Cosmetically speaking Acetal or Delrin tends to show scratches more than PVC.

Best,
Ag

Back
Top Bottom