Don't know what happened

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So now the new DM is being directed to carry extra weight to give to students should they need it on a dive - and this is the same certified and insured individual who had not been taught how to do a weight check (when I am sure it is in the textbook).

He claims to hold an advanced degree in fluid dynamics, yet after so many courses and dives and discussions, was unaware of how to do a weight check? Even if the instructors were all terrible - isn't this simple information in a text book?

He claims to sink with 6 kg, but unable to descend with 8 kg and confirms this fact.

The OP should NOT be helping with classes, he should not be carrying excess weight and he should be seeking remedial training for his self-described deficiencies. Or maybe this is all a fun exercise to see what kind of responses can be generated.

Can’t do GUE. I am a recreational cigar smoker. I was interested though. But can’t stand fundamentalists.

If I remember well, I was reading a scientific article linked here on SB about pulmonary efficiency. Basically, pulmonary efficiency is reduced at depth, so divers need to have particularly good lungs. Usually cigar smokers keep the smoke in the mouth, so I am not sure if that's a problem for you. Anyway, be aware when you make your choice :)

About fundamentals, there are alternatives. But frankly speaking, before add another piece of training, be sure that everything you have already learned is consolidated. A series of 1:1 sessions can work toward this goal. Another course would not do it (actually, adding new knowledge/skills, you may only become even more confused)

So now the new DM is being directed to carry extra weight to give to students should they need it on a dive - and this is the same certified and insured individual who had not been taught how to do a weight check (when I am sure it is in the textbook).

He claims to hold an advanced degree in fluid dynamics, yet after so many courses and dives and discussions, was unaware of how to do a weight check? Even if the instructors were all terrible - isn't this simple information in a text book?

He claims to sink with 6 kg, but unable to descend with 8 kg and confirms this fact.

The OP should NOT be helping with classes, he should not be carrying excess weight and he should be seeking remedial training for his self-described deficiencies. Or maybe this is all a fun exercise to see what kind of responses can be generated.
Sorry I didn't want to tell him to carry extra weigth.
I just tried to explain how it should be done.
But as a diver or DM with lacking basic skills and weighting it's 100 %not advisable to carry extra weigth.

It should show, that a DM has to deal with uncomfortable situations, for example carrying extra weigth. And if that's not possible because of lack of training or experience then it's best to pause the DM activity.

Besides the OP says you posts have good value, I think you are very much on point in the last posts.

I do 1:1 all the time. But 1:10 is not bad, is it? For example, my instructor (with over x000 dives) still profess the 1/4 turn back on the air valve. I disagree and don’t do it. My instructor does not like me having a snorkel. I do it anyway.
Do understand. I am the first one to be aware that I still need to learn and get experience. Don’t worry, you will never see me in the Accident section. But if you ask me if I am 100% sure to be able to take care of trainees as well as me or my wife, I will honestly say no. And I am not sure that I will with 1000 dives.

I do 1:1 all the time. But 1:10 is not bad, is it?

I don't understand you, what do you mean?

Don’t worry, you will never see me in the Accident section.

I hope so! But that is usually the same thinking of people who end up in the accident section...

But if you ask me if I am 100% sure to be able to take care of trainees as well as me or my wife, I will honestly say no. And I am not sure that I will with 1000 dives.

Then stop being a DM, right now.

Don’t worry, you will never see me in the Accident section.

vzfudju.gif

I don't understand you, what do you mean?

I hope so! But that is usually the same thinking of people who end up in the accident section...

Then stop being a DM, right now.
I mean that I spend much time discussing diving issues with my Instructor way beyond normal training. But I also enjoy discussing with other experienced divers (or even group of divers) that I don’t even know.
I am not sure that you can define the psychological profile of people who die diving. Some are obvious. Others are not. That's one of the things I hate with lesson givers. Saying that you will or might die based on feelings and not facts. But anyway… Everybody thinks that everyone can die but themselves.
As to DM duties, don’t fool yourself. Remember one of the first rule: it is better to have one casualty than two. If you feel that you will lose your life trying to save someone, don’t do it. Well, if this someone is my wife, I will take the risk of losing my life even if the odds are really bad. I would not do it for someone else. This is human nature. And if you want to make me believe that you would do otherwise, I would say that you are delusional and lying to yourself.
I know that I can die jumping from a 30 m bridge to save someone. If it is someone I don’t know, I won’t do it. If it is my wife or one of my kids, I will not hesitate to jump.

This just gets worse and worse..

Everyone can end up on the accident page!
It's all fine until it's not. I experienced it myself how fast things can turn in a second.

As a DM you have to rescue someone in trouble. Of course there are limits. But tbh that limits are something like: the student is in a cave, or in 70m deph.
Other then that you absolutely have to rescue them, that's what a dive professional is there for.

And besides that, if you can't rescue because it's to dangerous you screwed up before that big times.

This is where
Don’t worry you will never see me in the Accident section.

This quote right here is why I have issues with you and your ego. I believe you would leave a student in distress and save yourself. That’s the reason I said what I said to you before. You are dangerous and you are so caught up in all this bull crap, you don’t see it. You will not listen and that makes you even more dangerous.

I hope you wake up before something bad happens. Hate to say it, your an accident waiting to happen

Maybe we can all start over with this thread topic? OP has his feedback and can do what he wants with it. If I remember the original question, he was wondering why he go so left behind on a dive. I would suggest OP invests in an underwater scooter and wait till he has more experience before he leads a dive! Problem solved! Ha! :)

Best of luck to you OP. I think you have good intentions but a public forum probably isn’t the best setting to figure some of these things out.

Back
Top Bottom