Don't steal my gear-I get mad dead quick.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark your gear, it will prevent any misunderstanding at the end of the dive/day. As someone has already pointed out, keep your gear together. Those divers that scatter their gear all over the boat always seem to be looking for something... :palmtree: Bob

Like Rick just said, relax. But if you feel that you can’t do that, put all your gear into a pile and turn your back to the rest of the party. Then take a water bottle and make it look like you’re peeing on your gear. It should be safe from that point on and it doesn’t matter who speaks what language, that’s universal. :D

Gary D.

Web Monkey types faster. :D :D

Buy a good homeowner's policy, take pictures, keep your reciepts and if something comes up missing get a police report. I wear all my gear when I am in the water except for my gear bag and an old pair of deck shoes. I'd worry more about the TSA people going through my bags than another diver stealing my stuff. Only thing I have lost so far is a dive kinife out of my checked luggage between Col's Ohio and Ft. Laud.

to prevent theft, if your gear is going to be on the boat, stay on the boat. If you're going to leave the boat and enter the water, take your scuba equipment with you under water.

Im about to go on a dive trip, and will be trying out my brand new Mares vector BC with Airtrim and integrated.
The day boats take often 20 or more divers. I don't want anyone to accidently borrow my stuff on a permanent basis.
Could you give me your thoughts and ideas on providing security for my gear.

Your comment sounds xenophobic. What evidence suggests that divers from the former Soviet Union, least of all non-English speaking folks display a propensity (on dive boats) for taking other people's gear?

Perhaps these "other" divers should be worried people using New Mares BC's?

Come on' get real here.

X

The biggest problem I've ever had concerning dive boat people stealing my stuff is alienating the other divers with my own anxiety and paranoia. It would seem like common sense to mark your stuff, keep it together, and keep an eye on it, but common sense isn't all that common. Other than the basic precautions you should take anywhere, like being aware of your surroundings, there's really nothing you can do, except just not go.

I don't dive anymore. I just look at my expensive scuba gear sit in the corner and admire it. I am so glad that I don't have to worry about some jerk stealing. Especially my BC that will either be in my bag, on my tank, or on my back. Wow I wish I had a tito the armed monkey to protect my stuff.

*********** Moderator Message *************

Some posts were edited or deleted as they were determined to be offensive or referenced an offensive post.

Your friendly moderator

Dave

Worry about stealing? Not so much. Loosing stuff or having someone accidently grab it? Absolutely. I have yet to go on a boat where this did NOT happen to me or my girlfriend. Once she ended up doing her stress and rescue cert in XS kids fins and didn't notice it until couple days later. Turns out that she had seen that boy on the boat stowing fins that looked exactly like hers into his bag and she had even asked him to make sure they were his... Guess what: She never heard from them again and ended up buying new ones, even though you wold think the guy would have noticed that his fins had miraculously turned into Large. Especially students often don't pay attention to what gear they have because they have their hands full with learning how to dive.

Take home message: Mark your gear clearly and try to put in the same spot on the boat each time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom