Don't steal my gear-I get mad dead quick.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On a trip to Cozumel, after diving, we rinsed our gear and hung our regs over a beam, in front of the dive shop, in the shade, to dry. We had done it many times before. We sit on the beach 20 or 30 feet away. The bride went to check on the dryness of the gear and discovered her reg was missing. In its place was a rental reg from the dive shop. As it turns out, a cruise ship passenger decided he'd borrow the reg because he liked the idea of having a computer and, also, wanted to check out her Oceanic reg on his afternoon dive. "Oh, I hope you don't mind" was his response. Luckily, when he came back from his dive and told this to the bride and the dive shop people, I was up in the room. The thought of Mexican prison does not appeal to me.

Unfortunately, moderator, by removing the offensive part of Hillmorton Scubie's original post, and the posts which referenced his comment (such as mine) now he can claim he never said such a thing....

Thanks, Mr X for some well thought out posts.

I'm going diving.

This is a good example how an issue can totally change its direction and create misunderstandings. With people joining a thread later (like me in this case), this can turn ugly quickly, simply because information was removed. I challenged another poster's view because I was oblivious of any of the "nationality" mentions that had apparently been removed earlier. This is not a good situation.

I suggest to reconsider the removal of posts. Of course, none of us wants to sift through plain offensive troll posts, but if someone makes an unfair political or social statement, so be it and the rest of us should have a chance to respond and review the whole story. We are all adults, after all. This is NOT a criticism of the moderation of this board, I merely would like to bring up the point that we should think about it more in terms of a real conversation. I know how incredibly hard it must be to face the task of deciding what's legit and what's not, but why not give it a try and let the discussion take care of it?

When on the boat if the gear is not on a tank in the rack everything is put into my gear bag until time for next dive (surface Int)...even while wet...it is made to get wet... I try to keep a "neat" house with my gear..so there are no accidental pickups.......

Unfortunately, moderator, by removing the offensive part of Hillmorton Scubie's original post, and the posts which referenced his comment (such as mine) now he can claim he never said such a thing....

Thanks, Mr X for some well thought out posts.

I'm going diving.

Is it really important to track who said what about whom in this thread? I think this thread is about misappropriation of goods, not analysis of who said what and why about certain people. Each poster who made derogatory comments knows they did. Reports were made on this thread and the MOD's acted on that. Focus is back at the original question.....

Back to your regular programming

more than your fellow passengers. Several years ago, diving out of Gulf Shores, AL, one of my friends could not find his BC when we returned to the dock. At the time we assumed that the BC fell overboard during the transit in, being this an open crew boat. Come to find out a few months later that my friend was not the only one who lost gear off that boat. Turns out the mate on the boat had a habit of opening the engine covers several times during the day. While the cover was open the mate would slip a piece of someone's gear into the engine compartment, then close the cover. Everyone assumed that their gear fell overboard. When we approached the captain about getting the gear back, we were informed that he had fired the mate and did not know how to contact him.

I believe the reason I never had any gear disappear was because soon after the last dive I would repack it back into the bag. The bag and weight belt would then be strapped around a stanchion just so none of my gear would go overboard without me in it.

Back
Top Bottom