Don't try to carry any Tape in carry-ons - or Any Tools.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When we left Cozumel last month they had moved some things around near the security desk. I didn't know there was a chapel near the American Airlines line. I guess the plexi-glass container that houses all the 'contraband' was blocking the view. Anyway, I took a picture of the cube so folks can see some of the things that can't go into carry-on. I didn't realize regular batteries were no bueno. Some of the stuff is pretty obvious though.

Screen Shot 2023-04-11 at 4.28.11 PM.png

I took a picture of the cube so folks can see some of the things that can't go into carry-on.
They should add my three rolls of tape.

Those look really dangerous, huh...

1681249490891.png

What is that yellow thing next to the flashlight batteries? Does it say "iRobot" on it?

What is that yellow thing next to the flashlight batteries? Does it say "iRobot" on it?
It looks like an old roomba battery pack to me.

No tools. No decongestants. Mexico just does not want me to visit and spend any money there.

OK. There's British Honduras. Or just plain Honduras. Or dozens of other places likely better.

Mexico just does not want me to visit and spend any money there.
Sure they do. Just don't carry any of a long list of items in your carry-on when leaving. Put them in checked bags.
I lost partial rolls of high-quality duct tape, 1" electric tape, and 2" electric tape. None of those needed to be in my carry-on, and I don't know why I packed them that way, but never again.
The list does get longer.
OK. There's British Honduras. Or just plain Honduras.
Smirk. :whistling: You think things are better in Belize or the Bay Islands?

I went through TSA, leaving Cozumel with a carry-on CO2-powered life vest. Houston TSA said OK to take. US TSA even has an "OK to take" information on them on their web site. But, TSA Cozumel took it. I filed a complaint with TSA US, and got somewhat of a snippy form letter denying my claim, with no reason stated, and if I did not like it, I could sue in federal court. At the end of the day, US TSA and Mexican TSA follow different rules.
That's just crazy....since every one of the inflatable life vests on the plane you flew have the same CO2 cartridge installed.... They should have let you just remove the cartridge and keep your vest..

So here is my Cozumel baggage check story, and as you read it, remember that this happened in Cozumel, one of the most popular dive sites in the world. This happened this past June, after I had had to extend my stay for a week because of covid.

My carry on bag got a hand screening, and the guy went through each item carefully. He came to my expensive Shearwater Petrel computer, in its Shearwater case, and he opened it up. "What is this?" he asked. "Some kind of camera?" I said it was a dive computer. He looked at my like I was pulling his leg. "Why would you use a computer in diving?" he asked. I explained it to him briefly. He thought about it for a while, and then he decided not to confiscate it.

Then he saw another Shearwater case, and he opened it to see what was inside. It was my Shearwater Perdix. Now he knew he was dealing with a terrorist. He had already decided it was ridiculous that I had a computer for diving, but now I was trying to tell him I carried two computers while diving! An obvious lie! Eventually I was able to persuade him that there is a good reason to carry two computers when you dive.

But then he spied something suspicious--there was something attached to the computer strap. He inspected it carefully and pulled the Eezycut Trilobite line cutter from its sheath. He had me! I was trying to smuggle a dangerous weapon onto the plane.

I got off easy--he only confiscated it.

Back
Top Bottom