DOR 4 Photo Comp?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cath, yes I've read the manual but I think I have to read it again:). I can probably answer some of your queries only after my test dives/pix. I also got a headache reading the manual.

re#9. try adjusting aperture if you want depth of field.

pakman:
**disclaimer... this is my opinion from the limited time I've had the D-2000 (not W model) and as a total uw photog noob... :D

1) I have the older model with only the optical connector. no grease needed. not sure about the newer W model with the eletronic connection.

2) I usually keep it in e-ttl, but sometimes I will need to dial it down a bit if I find its overexposing.

3) Can't answer that. I have a Canon S70. I can ask my colleague who has a 7070 and a D-2000. But I think you're right about the setting for the Oly supermacro and ext. strobe. I think the Oly preflash is disabled in supermacro.

4) use 100 or 50 ISO. less noise

5) I always use the diffuser. the only exception is if I'm trying to crank it at full power at something far (beyond 2-3m away?)

6) you can always switch it to manual and then dial in the exposure manually. Not sure of the benefits of using ext auto.

7) yes and no. If you have no other focus light, then it will be handy to light up your target, but this may result in back scatter as the strobe with then be pointed directly at your subject. Do a search and most people will recommend you aim the strobe off centered to avoid backscatter. This maybe less of an issue when doing very close up macros but will be problem when you have more water between you and the subject.

8) My left wrist has gotten bigger... :wink: never tried the strobe arm float...

9) no adjustment needed as the D-2000 will be reading the camera's own internal flash setting for its exposure setting. * but you might heed Inon's recommendation of using the low e-ttl setting first. then adjust up or down. if its not enough, then move it up to the normal e-ttl setting.

If you're new to external strobes, I would set it on the ettl setting and just take a LOT OF PICS, review then on the camera lcd, and adj the strobe if you find it over/ under exposed...

hope that helps.
Pak pretty much answered it all for you, cathy. I don't use full manual with the strobe but rather the external auto. I just match the aperture setting of the camera (using manual controls when I dive) and the strobe settings and shoot. If too dark or too bright, I adjust the aperture number on the back of the strobe as needed. I've tried s-ttl with my old a70 and didn't really like the results. Nothing wrong with it but I felt I wasn't getting the kind of lighting I wanted.

As for the strobe making the rig heavy on one side, I found a solution for that. The stack of lenses on one side balances the other.

IMG_1442rsz.jpg

Thanks pak, Caloy and Midwest for all you helpful suggestions. You were right Jam, they were quick. PPD photogs are the best!

I'll practice some more this long weekend and maybe post some pics that you can critique. ike Caloy, I'll post the good and the bad so you can tell me how to improve. Been down with this strobe a couple of times but most of my initial attempts were really depressing. Anyway, with your help I hope my next dives will be more productive.

Have a safe holy weekend everyone!

Cathy

clgsamson:
This might well be a DOR Babes event eh...

Mikey, are you done with your arrangements?
i think so....

just got to arrange hotel in Manila..

Most people live around Ortigas? I am thinkin of stayin there for Wed night? good or bad plan?

clgsamson:
Hi Cathy, why don't you join us for the DOR IV. We have 2 of the best photogs in SB coming in including the master...it will be a very informative DOR, photo wise.

I really wish I could Caloy but I'll be going to 2bba on the 26th and can't miss work the week before my trip. Kailangan ko din kumayod to sustain this expensive hobby of ours. Anyway I'm confident that after their first fateful meeting, Mike will have reason to keep coming back here more often :wink: .

I'll try to make it to at least one DOR in the latter half of 2006.

Back
Top Bottom