Dorcy brand dive light. Anyone used them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad you liked using the light. Hopefully I can get in and try it next weekend.

The lanyard that came with it was not really sturdy enough to trust the light hanging from anything while diving. I quickly removed it. I expect they might have some improvements as they progress with new production runs.

Since most divers will want to change their lanyard/snap-bolt/ring connection, the cheap lanyard isn't a big concern as most folks will chunk it.

. Mike engineered a kitchen counter-top lanyard that would suit, but it was ugly.

yeah... my first attempt at that was pretty ugly. I didn't like how it turned out, but left it on there for you as you needed to head out. but as soon as you got back, I cut it off.

I was able to re-engineer a new one that is a huge improvement and is very 'clean' in it's implementation. I think you'd like it. (maybe I can post some pics)

Also Dorcy should consider adding a strong durable metal ring or clip to attach an equally robust lanyard. With these two modifications I would use this light as my primary dive light and buy a second one for a back-up light.

I think adding a ring to clip to would be pretty easy. Just add a strong spiral keychain type ring in one of the drilled holes in the endcap where the lanyard was. (spin it on like you would a key. You can pick up heavy duty rings like this at hardware stores).

I thought about doing this also... but since I added a snap-bolt to the end of the end of the light, didn't figure I needed a ring also.

Is it possible to enlarge the lanyard hole enough to tie a snap to the light using cave line? If so a bungee wrist strap could be the "safety".

Henrik

Is it possible to enlarge the lanyard hole enough to tie a snap to the light using cave line? If so a bungee wrist strap could be the "safety".

Henrik

The holes are decent size. but it appears that you've got "enough metal" there to drill them out maybe one size larger, if you wanted to.

I was able to get cave line looped through the holes twice. ( came through the holes, tied a knot, ran through the holes a second time and tied a second knot on the other side, then clipped the line and melted the ends).

I could prob get them through a third time a small pair of needle-nose pliers (maybe with lubbing with a little liquid soap).

I'll try to post some pics of how I re-tied my lanyard/snap-bolt. Will be tonight or tomorrow though.

In the mean time, here is a picture of the holes that might help. You can see two of the thinner lines of the lanyard looped through the holes.

DSC_3859-holes.jpg

Does anyone know where someone outside of the US can buy one of these things?

I've tried dorcydirect, amazon, wallmart, and who knows where else, and all of them only seem to want to ship to USA (and some Canada).

Looks like you can't even buy this light if you live anywhere else. :depressed:

Any help would be appreciated because for the price - I haven't seen another light come close to the lumens that this thing has...

I haven't seen another light come close to the lumens that this thing has...

There are plenty of lights that put out more lumen than this light.
It uses a Luxeon K2 LED.
Most Cree based LED light will put out more. The biggest benefit I see from this light is the use of AA cells instead of CR123 or 18650 Li Ion cells ( Although I prefer 18650 cells myself).

Hi packhorse,

Thanks for your reply. Are you able to mention a couple of alternatives for a similar price that puts out as much (or more) light please?

I'm not familiar with the LED based lights, and only have the lumen rating and price to go on. :wink:

Cheers

Adam.

At retail of $79.99US it looks to be very well priced.

The Intova is pretty close in performance and price.

The modified IST's I sell cost a little more but probably put out more light. Beam angle will be quite different I would guess and that is just as important as lumen output if not more so.

Sartec look like good lights too although their specifactions (as those of other manufactures) seems to defy the laws of electronics.

Hi Packhorse,

Thanks for your reply.

I've done a quick google search on Intova and it says that they're 65 lumens (compared to 180 for the dorcy). Or have I got the wrong light?

I've been able to find the dorcy as low as $45US new (although of course, they don't ship to Aus either). :depressed:

It's impressive what you do with those lights, but the problem is that I'm trying to find something a little cheaper (as we could be buying 6 or 8 of these)

The dorcy seemed perfect for the price and specs - just got us trapped with the postage! :confused6:

I can't seem to find any other light that appears to compare with the dorcy for a similar price unless I'm understanding the specs wrong.

Cheers

what is Cree based LED light?

Back
Top Bottom