Doria 2006 on SEEKER

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove off of the SEEKER only once, I was with a regular dive buddy at the time. And I have no interest in her of any kind. That said, The first thing that struck me was their friendly informality, but trust me, no one even got on board without the proper credentials shown. EVERYONE, on board was treated extremely well, and made to feel at home. On the dive site (the 853) while gearing up, we were asked to state our dive plan, gas mix, deco stops (if any) and bottom time. It was logged, and we were pretty much told (in a nice way) that they expected to see my bald head poking through the surface when it was time up. I call that not only professionalism, but care for their charges, and I for one appreciated it. We had one of the best times I have ever had on a charter, and WILL dive her again. Capt Mike runs a hell of an operation, and the crew is second to none. It aint cheap to run a damn ski boat, leave alone somthing the size of the Seeker, and considering the combined cost of operation, and God FORBID the poor guy shows a profit! 1500 hunj seems a fair cost to me. It's no diferent than anything else, if you cant afford it, don't buy it,, but don't shoot the guy selling it.
Dave.

Capt. Michael Jensen:
Lets see....

The slip is $12000.00 for the May to Oct. season, Fuel is $3.29 at the marina (where I am obliged to purchase it, and SEEKER burns 25 gallons/hour), insurance is $10000.00 annually, and the genset and starboard engine repairs this month will total more than $20000.00. Not to mention food, USCG inspections, basic upkeep, hours spent answering emails and telephone calls (bills), replying to posts from people that haven't a clue what is involved with running an operation like this, etc. Having a boat like this is a break even endeavor at best.

FYI the wreck entitled "Grand Dame of the Sea" IS an exotic location for technical divers (I realize that your idea of exotic is probably looking at the pretty fishes under a pier in Bonaire while diving a single AL80 of air!). Also, this destination requires a lot of preparation and skill to get divers to and from safely.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about and are quite obviously in WAY over your head. I currently have 5 Doria trips booked solid (including a 5 day trip booked by John Chatterton and Ritchie Kohler). If my price was way out of line would these guys (most have several years experience diving the wreck) be booking with me?

For what it's worth, I was told that I was the least expensive boat going this year.

Having had to practically bite through my tongue to keep from unleashing a stream of four letter words your way in response to your post, I would ask that you choose your reply very carefully, you just might find yourself wanting to dive from this vessel someday.

Cheers,

Capt. Mike

BTW- It's $1500

While at first glance it appears fuel is a large expense @ $3.29 per Gal, And the Doria is, what abt 60 mile trip for you?, it actually comes out to be one of the lowest pieces of overhead for the trip.

It was my understanding these trips were almost that much 10 years ago.
So price hasn't gone up that much.

While it is not an inflated price for the trip, it is still expensive. And for those that do it, there is the additional expense of breathing gases. Without doing exact figures, i bet for 3 days that probably runs about another $500.

While it might be nice, there are other wrecks with a lot less logistical problems.

I think we all understand that $1,500 dollars is a lot of money compared to what the average diver pays for an average outing.

I think most reasonable readers also understand that this is no average dive trip and that the expenses of the operation justify the price.

I think it is also common sense that if such a trip is beyond your training, your wallet, or both, you just don't go.

I'm not sure why this issue appears stuck in the wash cycle...

jagfish:
I think we all understand that $1,500 dollars is a lot of money compared to what the average diver pays for an average outing.

I think most reasonable readers also understand that this is no average dive trip and that the expenses of the operation justify the price.

I think it is also common sense that if such a trip is beyond your training, your wallet, or both, you just don't go.

I'm not sure why this issue appears stuck in the wash cycle...
It is certainly not a recreational dive so comparing it to some agressor drunk fest doesn't work :)

When you start factoring other costs outside of the boat worrying about 1500 bucks to dive the doria is just silly. I'd hate to add up my total costs.

Al Mialkovsky:
...When you start factoring other costs outside of the boat worrying about 1500 bucks to dive the doria is just silly. I'd hate to add up my total costs.

Amen...On a dive like that, it would be easy for each diver to have 10K worth of gear with them, maybe more if they have cameras, video, or scooters...Then if we are talking RB.........

A guy on a rebreather can have more than 10K tied up in his unit alone.

For me it's a 800 dollar plane ride and I have to buy a meal and pay for headphones on top of that, and what do I get? 4 hours instead of 4 days?

1500 is a bargain

Is This the same Seeker Dive boat that was out of Breille NJ? If so. Where is this Boat docked Now?

It is the one, and only Seeker indeed. She looks like new, and is in RI.

I'm not sure why this issue appears stuck in the wash cycle...[/QUOTE]

Probably because it's tough to make a buck in amy arena these days, leave alone this industry. And any stab, weather real, or perceived at somone that pours his entire life into a dream, deserves backing, if warranted. I believe it is, and so, it seems that others do as well.

dbg40:
Probably because it's tough to make a buck in amy arena these days, leave alone this industry. And any stab, weather real, or perceived at somone that pours his entire life into a dream, deserves backing, if warranted. I believe it is, and so, it seems that others do as well.
Not the captain...
I was talking about some of the other posters.

Back
Top Bottom