Dork diving at its worst (or best depending on your disposition)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't go into the fitness section anymore. Already lost the weight I need. Just wanna be a dorky guy and thats about it. :D

Hey All, I guess I need to come clean after reading these posts. First I was laid off and had nothing to do so I went for walks on the beach no more than knee deep. Check out the tooth (in my avitar)that stoked the dive fire that had all but gone out. I know im out of shape so I get mask, snorkel, and fins and hit the beach then the water then the beach "jeeeze it's cold". So I wade in to my waste tuck in, and try putting on my fin. Now I'm rolling in 6 inches of strong surf and tighten the first fin just as I start to roll back to deeper water. Not knowing better I did not go back to deep water to try and put on the 2nd fin. Time passes as does many strong waves when I finally managed to cinch the remaining fin. As I turned to the surf a large wave was breaking on me so I grabbed my mask and kicked like the dickens. Did I mention I was out of shape? I had been fighting the surf for several minutes (seconds more like it) and was spent. The foam has little hydrodynamics so kicking was just silly and I had no energy left anyhow. I raised my head to see yet another wave even bigger than the last breaking on me. My knees hit bottom and I was tossed over and washed back to the beach where I was deposited quite comically.
Thank God no one had a camera!
Would one of you be so kind as to define:dork2:Diver

But I haven't given up, I've done it a couple times now:D

I am new to the forum, and was not familiar with the term dork diver until fairly recently although the term describes me pretty well. On to my question especially to those of you that are inland. How often do you dive just for the sake of getting wet? Are you perfectly happy going to that lake, pond, quarry, etc knowing that you probably won't see a thing just so you can breathe compressed air and blow bubbles. There are times I am perfectly content diving in a swimming pool just so I can be weightless and play in the water. What about the rest of you?
Oh crap..
If diving as often as I can, wherever I can, just because its amazing to be under water in my own little bubble so to speak, its time for me to come out of the closet :11:
Please, someone tell me im not a :dork2: diver? If I am, would it mean Ill have to bring out my snorkel again??

Please, someone tell me im not a :dork2: diver? If I am, would it mean Ill have to bring out my snorkel again??
I certainly will not tell you that, but I will console you with the fact that snorkels have *absolutely* *nothing* to do with being a Dork Diver or not. I loathe, perhaps even *abhor*, snorkels for the diving I do; as a DD, I simply acknowledge that other divers may like theirs (or other conditions may merit using one), and so I don't laugh at anyone about them.

(Well, when they've got dive flags on them, I'm laughing *with* my fellow DDs, eh? :biggrin:)

Just having fun is already makes you a dork diver. :D

Hey, Clay, was that a comment about Snorkel Girl?
I have no idea. :biggrin:

(And is the dive flag rigid or flexible? I've always wondered, and the cool photos don't really show it well.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom