DOT exemption for PST E7 Tanks? Expires Soon? Renewed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Permit has expired and there has been no application for renewal yet. So for right now, there is no way to legally hydro 9791 tanks.

calling @tbone1004

Permit has expired and there has been no application for renewal yet. So for right now, there is no way to legally hydro 9791 tanks.

According to previous posts in this thread, FILLING these tanks would also not be allowed, not just hydro'ing

According to previous posts in this thread, FILLING these tanks would also not be allowed, not just hydro'ing
Interesting. Had not considered that they technically should not be filled even if the hydro is still within 5 years. Has anyone been turned away for a fill at a shop? I have a compressor but I’d be pissed if I couldn’t use some of my steel 100s. They’re not even old tanks, most of mine were made in the early 2000s.

Has anyone been turned away for a fill at a shop?
Yes,,,,An Orlando shop had a sign posted inside the store they would not fill the PST's until the exemption was back in place & showing on the website. Also listed was the explanation sent out by PST at the time. It was only for a day or 3 and I think back about 10 ? years ago. They are located right near a DOT regional facility and elected to be overly cautious.

I’m not understanding any of this.
I’ve read parts of this thread and so far gather that if a manufacturer no longer is certified by DOT because of some reason (not making scuba cylinders anymore or going out of business) that all the tanks that they ever manufactured even in the recent past can no longer be hydro’d or filled???
Correct me if I’m wrong.
WTF!! Is this a joke?
I have old steel 72’s that have ICC numbers and many are PST. I just took several in and had them hydro’d. My dive shop fills whatever has a current hydro and a vis sticker. They could care less about anything else.

Yeah, saw a few tanks with the DOT-SP 9791 mark for suspiciously cheap. Wonder if it's worth the gamble that PST is actually going to apply for the renewal. It does seems odd that the DOT only grants for 4 years, when the hydro is good for 5.

Well I have an XS Scuba 3442 E-7 120 and also a 3442 E-7 100, so if the company that made them does not get or renew their special permit then they are no good to use anymore?? Am I hearing this right?
How does this permit have anything to do with the structural integrity of my tanks that were already manufactured years ago and have past a few hydro’s already?
I could see not being able to manufacture more tanks going forward because of no permit, but tanks that have already been made years ago being condemned just because of a paperwork technicality makes zero sense.
I checked the date and it’s not April 1st.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom