Double alum. 80s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You don't need those. They increase your safety, but it's not less safe to dive a twinset with a single reg on it and not knowing how to do a valve drill than to dive a single tank.

I agree. I still think it's a good idea to just learn to dive a bit before moving to doubles, especially if diving recreational levels that don't require the additional gas.

To me it doesn't change a thing to have a twinset without the skills or a single tank. If anything, you're safer with more gas.

I don't buy into the "you'll go into deco and die", you can get into deco easily on a single tank. Worst thing that could happen imo is that you get out with 160bars in your tanks.

I personally find a soothing point to the knowledge that if you a lot more gas than required. Much more enjoyable than thinking "damn, will I cut other people's dive short?" imo.

hey all, I just got my AOW from PADI. Had a question I can't find an answer to. If I want to do strictly double tanks... no nitrox or anything special, does that fall under AOW or is that technical?
Slow down, take your time and get a lot more experience before even contemplating a more complex setup. You can get a lot of good experience with a single AL80. When you're ready, get properly trained on all the aspects of diving with doubles before trying it on your own.

Slow down, take your time and get a lot more experience before even contemplating a more complex setup. You can get a lot of good experience with a single AL80. When you're ready, get properly trained on all the aspects of diving with doubles before trying it on your own.

Total rubbish.

hey all, I just got my AOW from PADI. Had a question I can't find an answer to. If I want to do strictly double tanks... no nitrox or anything special, does that fall under AOW or is that technical?

It is more 'technical' .... doubles is more than 'is my gas on?' kinda thing....

Do you need formal training? Not necessarily, but it does make sure you are completely squared away in a day. Something like GUE Doubles Primer would be a great course with very little pre-requisites:

Applicants for a Doubles Primer course must:

1. Submit a completed registration form, a medical history, and a liability release to GUE Headquarters.
  2. Be physically and mentally fit.
  3. Hold insurance that will cover diving emergencies such as hyperbaric treatment, e.g. DAN Master-level insurance or equivalent.
  4. Be a nonsmoker.
  5. Obtain a physician’s prior written authorization for the use of prescription drugs, except for birth control, or for any prior medical condition that may pose a risk while diving.
  6. Must be a minimum of sixteen years of age.
  7. Be a certified GUE Rec 1 diver or be certified as an open water diver from a recognized training agency.
As well as the equipment. I haven't met an instructor who couldn't outfit a student with the required equipment (if you don't have something).

Else, look to your LDS if they offer tech training. Make sure the instructor dives doubles on a regular basis (many do other configurations, which don't equate into doubles ... sidemount, single with pony, etc)

_R

It is more 'technical' .... doubles is more than 'is my gas on?' kinda thing....

Do you need formal training? Not necessarily, but it does make sure you are completely squared away in a day. Something like GUE Doubles Primer would be a great course with very little pre-requisites:

As well as the equipment. I haven't met an instructor who couldn't outfit a student with the required equipment (if you don't have something).

Else, look to your LDS if they offer tech training. Make sure the instructor dives doubles on a regular basis (many do other configurations, which don't equate into doubles ... sidemount, single with pony, etc)

_R

Total rubbish again.

Why isn't it just is my gas on?

Total rubbish again.

Why isn't it just is my gas on?

Great question!

There are 10 possible failures on manifolded valves (just getting gas past the first stage) ..... and many ways to think you are ok but not ....

You learned how to switch and donate regulators off of a single tank in OW. I'm guessing that is a "Total Rubbish" skill?

By your reasoning ("Total rubbish again"), learning how to switch and manipulate manifolded valves are much simpler and don't require any thought at all then ...

So, what is rubbish about suggesting seeking some guidance about how to use some specialized equipment? What would you suggest to all of us?

_R

Why cant he use his twinset like a big single tank? :confused:

Great question!

There are 10 possible failures on manifolded valves (just getting gas past the first stage) ..... and many ways to think you are ok but not ....

You learned how to switch and donate regulators off of a single tank in OW. I'm guessing that is a "Total Rubbish" skill?

By your reasoning ("Total rubbish again"), learning how to switch and manipulate manifolded valves are much simpler and don't require any thought at all then ...

So, what is rubbish about suggesting seeking some guidance about how to use some specialized equipment? What would you suggest to all of us?

_R

You can donate in the same way. There is no need to manipulate valves. And if you can't work out how to put your arms behind your head you should probably not leave the house let alone enter water.

The op could treat a twinset as a big single quite happily. There is no need for training to do so.

I do wonder how people survived before these courses came about??? It's a total mystery that so many older divers are still alive.

I never took a single class to dive doubles. Seriously, it is not rocket surgery. You do NOT have to have a 7' hose simple because you are in doubles. The only RULE I would say to someone just wanting to dive doubles as a big ole stable lots of gas platform in recreational dives, ISOLATOR OPEN. Thats it. You actually have real redundancy with doubles and with very little work from the OP it is a much safer platform to dive. Band you up some AL80s and get on with it bud.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom