doubles diving after slap repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hantzu701

Contributor
Reaction score
Looking to get in touch with GUE divers who have been through a SLAP repair. Looking for info that is scuba specific - ie. what limitations/concerns during and post recovery. My Ortho doc is very good, but does not treat many scuba divers. (Injury appears to have been caused by a bad fall while snowboarding.)

Thanks, Hanzu

I'm potentially looking at a similar surgery (attempting to solve problem with PT first), so I'll be reading the thread with interest.

I has a small SLAP tear repaired - took 2 suture anchors. Had a bit of biceps tendon involvement as well. My surgeon also did a subacromial decompression and some intra-articular debridement.

I hit PT pretty hard after the surgery and did my own extra training in the gym in between. The challenge I think is to be vigilant about your PT, especially the stretching, but not to overdo it in the hopes of getting there quicker. I managed to overdo it a couple of times, which then set me back a few weeks.

I was diving again 3 or so months after surgery, but it took about 2 years before my shoulder felt fully there. You should realize that the strengthening/stretching will be necessary for life. I feel it pretty quick if I start to slack off. But if I stay with it I'm fine lifting and diving doubles, and I have good and equal motion in both shoulders - no problems with valve drills etc.

Henrik

Much thanks. I went hard on the PT after the surgery as well and managed to overdo it as well. After one or two setbacks, I've been following the prescribed PT. Recovery has been slow, but progress has been consistent. I have always been told that nothing is the same after you cut it (as in surgery), so my assumption is that I've lost function somehow.

have always been told that nothing is the same after you cut it (as in surgery), so my assumption is that I've lost function somehow.

That is of course true to an extent - the OEM equipment always works the best. However, I think that with dedication to a regular training regimen, you may end up better off than before surgery without any training - if that makes sense.

As for lost abilities: I can't really do dips anymore - too much of a strain on the anterior capsule and the long tendon of the biceps. I can do pull-ups, but I have to be careful of hand position and don't "drop" to full extension, but stay about 1/4 up.

You'll "feel" your way, and find the limitations, and probably find that there are perfectly acceptable ways around them :)

Henrik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom