Doubles donning and doffing techniques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jersey1971

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Are there any secrets to easily donning and doffing doubles from the ground up?
I’m making the transition to double HP100s and trying to figure out better ways to manage the weight.

I’ve been putting on the harness backwards, with tanks facing front, to get onto a table or other elevated surface. Then I can slip it off, turn around, and fasten the harness. In a pinch I can lie on top of it, strap it on, flip over on my stomach. And work my way to my feet. Not optimal.

I’ve also been doing squats while wearing it and deadlifts with the tanks to build up strength.

Any suggestions for better techniques?

Yes, you should avoid doing that at all costs. Whenever possible find a bench, table, tailgate, etc. I built a bench specifically so I wouldn't have lift from the ground up at home.

LP50s from the ground... maybe.

Heck, I backed my truck up to the staging table last time I dove my 85s to avoid carrying them 25 yds from the parking lot.

My wife drives me nuts with similar stuff. Alot of benches and other typical places we put tanks like tailgates are often way too tall for her. She doesn't do it all of the time, but she will put her tanks on the ground, sit down and get into them, then stand up. It looks awkard as f--k and would kill my back instantly. She is very limber and farily strong for her small stature.
I'm not saying to do that, but it works for her.
Even at home she'll leave tanks on the ground in the garage because lifting them with her arms is just too awkward for her without the harness, then she'll sit down and do the above.
One thing I did learn from @mer (think that's her screen name here) is lifting doubles from the ground to a bench with no wing or anything on them. I always grabbed a valve and the bottom of the opposite tank and lifted. Her way is grab the valve, but then wrap a small towel around one of the bolts that your backplate slips onto and lift that way. It's such a simple idea, but really works.

I try to avoid being on the ground at all costs, but it does happen. If so I suit up, stand the tanks up, sit in front of them and roll onto my knees and stand up. I don't think this has any affect on my back. It's much better then moving 80lb bags of concrete, and I've done quite a few of those over the years. At least the tanks have straps.

I like what @Sebs posted, butthat looks top heavy.. tip over waiting to happen I think? Maybe better with legs at the bottom that flip out for support.. maybe it works fine. Looks cool

.... butthat looks top heavy.. tip over waiting to happen I think? Maybe better with legs at the bottom that flip out for support.. maybe it works fine.
It's a folding ladder. It's designed to be top heavy and not tip over.

@rddvet Get her one of these ladders. Everybody that dives doubles or CCR around here uses either one of those or has a van. Putting tanks on the ground and picking them back up whatever way can't be good for you.

Here is another diy site: Bau einer Rentnerleiter |
You can also google "Rentnerleiter tauchen" for more pictures of different designs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom