Doubles leaking?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Freshie1234

Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, here is what happened

I brought my twin 100's with highland bands, and a halcyon manifold to my local dive shop.

They gave me a hot fill to 3700psi... I checked my psi a day later, and it was at 3000. my question is: is this a feasible pressure? or should I be concerned about a leak? I notice my isolator has a little more play than usual... but thats about it. Ideas?

Thanks

I assume Steel 100's? If it was truly a hot fill, I think 700 is possible on a steel tank. You can take a spray bottle with a little soap and water and spray the all sound the manifold...that would pretty much answer the question for sure. Good luck!

What was the air temp on the day of the fill to 3,700?
What was the air temp on the day you found the pressure was 3,000?
Does the difference in temp account for the pressure change?
Did you check the manifold and valves for leaks?
What is the pressure in the cylinders today?

If 3700 was the psi coming off the fill whip, it's entirely possible that 3000psi was the room temp pressure, especially if they're living in an air conditioned house/cool garage floor. If they're really leaking, the pressure will keep dropping and you can detect the leak itself with the soapy water method mentioned above.

Did you use the same pressure gauge? Quite possible one reads high the other low. So seeing a 700 psi change is certainly possible once things cooled down.

Shut the manifold valve splitting the tanks and see if any one tank pressure falls. I had the same issue with a set of second hand cylinders and found a bursting disc leaking. Emptied the cylinder and found they had obviously blown the bursting disc and replaced with with 2 sheets of brass shim paper a Jerry Rig.

Had it replaced and all is good. I always use the soapy water as leak detection it bubbles up nicely. If you don't have a spray bottle just pour some soapy water over the valve area and watch as you do. The leak will be very apparent.

Back
Top Bottom