Doubles Setup - Sanity Check

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quick point to the OP: do you have an experienced doubles/DIR diver who can help you check out your kit before your first doubles dive, and during your dive? I applaud you for asking questions on how everything should be set up, but I'm slightly concerned because the nature of some of your questions strongly suggests that you don't the benefit of a guiding hand there to help you out. Having someone who understands the DIR gear setup and the details of diving in doubles is probably the best help you could get at this point, and I would highly suggest seeking someone out in your area who can help you tweak the final details and first dives in your new rig.

In a way yes, and in a way no.

Except for my instructor, I am the only one of my group that tries to run DIR. So that portion of it is left up to me. Unfortunately of that group, I am the only one that has interest in deeper, longer range and advanced gas mixes.

That said, I am slowly getting in with a group that - while not 100% DIR - does share the same interests as me, and has a ton more experience. I have been invited to some "smaller" dives where I will be able to lean on them a bit as I take this next step forward. Here in Wisconsin, unless you don't mind deep, dark, and REALLY cold, you generally don't dive.

All of my questions have come from the desire to have as many of my ducks in a row as I can before I show up at one of these dives I just mentioned. Leaning on someone is one thing, being their albatross is another.

Thanks again!

Blister

I might go one step further invite one of the other divers over well before one of your dives and have them take a look at your rig. This way you are not screwing around at the dive site trying to do this or that. This is especially important if you need tools. (Of course you should have some tools with you anyways but it is a lot nicer to screw around and try things at home). A good example is how to orient your regs which may require hoses to be moved.

Also though there is a huge overlap do not confuse DIR with what most would call std. technical dive equipment configurations.

I might go one step further invite one of the other divers over well before one of your dives and have them take a look at your rig. This way you are not screwing around at the dive site trying to do this or that. This is especially important if you need tools.

I second this idea. While you can (and let me duck under the table as I say this) learn much about the DIR equipment setup from the Internet (or, if I may redeem myself, by purchasing Dan Mackay's "Dress for Success"), I would consider having a DIR or at least a regular tech diver go over your kit with you a few days prior to your first dive with it, just to make sure you're not missing anything too obvious to have mentioned or too obscure to have considered (e.g., backwards tank band bolts :wink:).

Alternately, you can take a bunch of pictures of your gear (both component setup and with you wearing it) and I'm sure folks here will be happy to give you constructive feedback (while others, like me, photoshop you into embarrassing situations).

You should also be familiar with donating the long hose (the order you don your hoses/regs may have an impact here), always doing a pre-dive mod-S drill, valve drills, and all the other non-equipment related preparations and prereqs to going out in doubles/DIR gear.

just to make sure you're not missing anything too obvious to have mentioned or too obscure to have considered (e.g., backwards tank band bolts :wink:).

I have no idea what you are talking about. :eyebrow:

Blister

To address the idea of inviting someone over...

I'm just above "tag along" status at this point. There is a group (club) meeting in a week or so where I hope to endear myself to some sympathetic soul(s) that I may be able to bribe into a pre-dive home inspection.:coke:

I do know, however, that if I lived on the Lake Michigan coast between Manitowoc and Milwaukee this would be an easier task. As it is I live SW of Green Bay and am surrounded by pond and quarry divers. Nothing against that as a destination, but I would have to say that 80% of them dive big steel with wetsuits and bounce diving to 220 on air is not an uncommon occurrence.:confused: Needless to say, I am getting picky.

I think I need to move to the Keys. How is the real estate market in Key Biscayne lately????

Blister

Few reasons:

(1) If running dry suit off back gas, this leaves buoyancy on two separate posts.
(2) Provides a third reg if left post is unusable during air share.
(3) If you can breathe, your inflator will work (assuming you're not donating).

Roak

The DIR/Hogarthian approach to doubles and hose routing really makes sense to use even if you do not quite understand all of the reasons for the details yet. Getting configured properly is the first step and the rest can come later as you mentor with someone and gain skills in the water.

If you have a digital camera feel free to post pics and ask for constructive feedback.

If you post information on the model of regs you own etc, you can probably even get good starter what-hose-in-what-port advice before you even post a pic.

All of the above will get you to a dive with your technically inclined potential buddies in good enough order not to be an albatross.

I know quite a few of the regular crew in your vicinity. That particular region has a strong slant towards DIR. Gear wise, you will probably not be able to tell them apart. Procedure wise, details may vary, but generally pretty similar as well. Biggest difference is that they tend to standardize 28% more than 32%, and will take it about 20' deeper than GUE recommends.

The biggest advice I can offer you is to look up Greg Such at Shipwreck adventures, and say hi. He is in Two Rivers/Manitowoc. It sounds like he can advise you pretty well at the stage you're at right now.

Tom

I know quite a few of the regular crew in your vicinity. That particular region has a strong slant towards DIR. Gear wise, you will probably not be able to tell them apart. Procedure wise, details may vary, but generally pretty similar as well. Biggest difference is that they tend to standardize 28% more than 32%, and will take it about 20' deeper than GUE recommends.

The biggest advice I can offer you is to look up Greg Such at Shipwreck adventures, and say hi. He is in Two Rivers/Manitowoc. It sounds like he can advise you pretty well at the stage you're at right now.

Tom

Thanks, Tom. I get over that way at least once a month so I will be sure to look up Greg. Since I think I have seen about as much as there is to see on the western shores of Door County, I had been planning on getting to know the Lake Michigan side of the state much better.

Thanks again,
Blister

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom